Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Know Anything About Spyeraser From Uniblue?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

I downloaded the free version of SpyEraser a couple of weeks ago. The first scan found 13 treaths. When I scaned 8 days later, it found 10 of the same threats (8 IST bar, 1CWS and 1 coolwwwsearch), even though I removed them after the first scan, and the keylogger program it found during the first scan was replaced with another. This keylogger program was bazooka unninstal.exe, a file at least Lavasoft, Norton, Spybot, Superantispyware don't describe as a threat.

If the other 10 are correct and they therefore came back in a 8 days period, my guess would be that they have been on my PC for a while, 'cause I didn't do anything else than usual in the 8 days period. This means they must come from something I do on a regular basis. If that's the case, they must have been there for a long time. I've been scanning with these programs during the last 2 months without finding any of the files SpyEraser finds:
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Superantispyware
Norton antivirus
Dr WebCureIt
Kaspersky Webscanner
Norton Webscanner
CWShredder
Combofix
AVG Antirootkit beta
Avg Antispyware
eScan mwav
Hijackthis
The only reason why I haven't deleted SpyEraser is that it's certified by Microsoft (this should bee something positive) and it claims that its scans 38 800 registry locations on my PC. This is probably more than most of the other scaners. Superantispyware scans about 7000 registry files, dont know about the others. The problems SpyEraser finds are in the registry. (hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internettsettings\zonemap\domains\"the infected file")

Does anyone know if this program often gives false positives, or should I post a topic under "I am infected" to investigate further?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

hi kimgeni.

SpyEraser is not very good at the moment. They have Performed poorly in spyware removal and blocking tests and they produce false positives. Spyware removal can kill other processes, including Windows Explorer and SpyEraser itself. It forces you to make judgments based on cryptic, sometimes misleading pop-ups.

I would say, stay away from this program until it becomes more stable.

For a full review please visit the link below:
SpyEraser 1.1 Review
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users