Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Access Only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Alright so i've got a question guys, basically i have a work laptop with is running Vista 32bit and the problem i'm having is it will connect to wireless networks fine and work on the internet fine.

But when i disable that and try to connect through my ethernet connector it wont assign an ip address by dhcp. Ive checked all the setting to make sure it's supposed to assign by DHCP and i've tried it at home and at my work, so i know it's not the router that i'm connected to, and i assume it must be something with configuration but i can't seem to figure it out.

Any help or comments are much appreciated...thanks!

:huh:
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

Do u have a DHCP server runing on ur network at home or at work?
Is the network at home or at work configured for DHCP??
what are the symptoms when u connect through ethernet??
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

No it's just basically like even when i plug it directly into the cable modem i get this:

Posted Image

I was just saying on my other laptop i plug it into the same RJ45 and i get an ip and everything, but when i use my laptop with Vista it gives me that above...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

You don't have a default gateway or a DNS server listed for IP4 - without these you won't be able to connect.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

usama got a point, i didnt notice that.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#6 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yeah but shouldn't it auto-detect that? I mean because it used to work so i'm not sure exactly what caused this...

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

But it isn't auto-detecting it and that's why you can't connect.

On my networks it isn't auto-detected. The router doesn't send out an announcement that it's the gateway to the internet - I have to enter that manually. Also, AFAIK, the DNS servers at most ISPs aren't self announcing either.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users