Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Linux User

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 system366

system366

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

I am not on a large version this is a very basic version of Linux that i am using, i believe it is based on the Gentoo version, not sure tho... i am using a LiveCD version called Rescuecd.

I met tux only yesterday, or mor eof late lastnight when i decided to just have a look at the linux OS... been meaning to for a while now...
My half bro recommended for my 1st version of linux to used a very basic LiveCD version...

Yeserday when my half bro was teaching me commands he taught me how to mount & unmount my drives... i was taking notes of most things but forgot those... Could somebody please tell me how to mount and unmount my drives please?

I have 3 Drive, my

C:< Internal - Maxtor
D:< Internal - Uknown
and
F:< External - USB 2.0 Maxtor 2300

I also have a USB MP3 player which acts as a "Flash drive" he demostrated the mount and unmount commands by getting me to do it with this Flash drive... so if could help doing the Flash drive again would also be apretiated =]

Another problem i am having is installing software, i have downloaded a few mini games for linux and some applications, i have also downloaded the manual update for Java console but i cannot open it... i tried to go into Mrxvt terminal and found the downloaded installer but couldnt figure out how to open it =[

If any1 has any answeres to any of these questions please post as soon as possible =]

Thanks in advance

-Nick-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

What you need to do is open my computer / My linux or something of that sort. Find the drive that you want mounted and right click it. Select mount volume.

It might be in /usr/disks/local or /usr/disks/removable.zip.1

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hmmmm... i was about to put a post saying "Unfortunatley, this version has to do it through the command line..." But then i tememberd the only thing iv be able to view drive info in and actually be able to click things but im nto sure if it is what ypour talking about...

I have only looked at it once but didnt really explore much

My half bro warned me to be careful as i can bleep up my drives with it...

Ummm 1 sec *Checks name of thing*... Ok the thing im using is called "GParted"... Is this what you are talking about?

-Nick-

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

No. It might be under properties in the right click menu. Click the drive once with the right-button. There should be an option to mount drive or partition.

Or try: mount <path of drive>

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Ah... nvm my bro just called... also there is no properties thing or anything lyk that there is info but no options, its lyk properties "gegneral" tab in windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users