Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Ax Object 2.07

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KGrob

KGrob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

My computer has been infected with a program called "Video Ax Object 2.07."

I tried to delete it using the Add/Remove feature on the Windows Control Panel but it won't let me delete the program.

I also tried to delete the program in Windows Explorer by simply deleting the contents of the files but the files will not permit me to delete them.

The program somehow added a Toolbar to Internet Explorer...it's called "Protection Bar" and I cannot remove that from IE7.

The program keeps flashing up warnings about how my computer is infected with spyware etc. and wants me to purchase various spyware/virus programs such as WinAntiSpyware and AntiVirusGolden.

The program seems to have installed a few things I cannot get rid of...

Note: Mcafee virus scanner (updated) does not recognize this as a virus. I'm running another check now though to see if it recognizes it at all.

It seems to me that the only thing I'm infected with is the "Video Ax Object 2.07" that wants me to purchase their products.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

Try these free, online scans:

http://safety.live.com/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't work, follow the instructions at this link for posting a HiJackThis logfile there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 KGrob

KGrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Thanks. I'm going to run those right now.

#4 KGrob

KGrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Okay, well, I ran the first program you listed, saftey.live and it found the problem child but it (sadly) indicated that it was unable to clean it up.

I'll try that second program now.

#5 thsviolinist

thsviolinist

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

I'm having the same problem...I've tried both things but they arent working... :thumbsup:

#6 Guest_techigs64_*

Guest_techigs64_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

The same thing happened to me. This is what I had to do to get rid of it.

Please download http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe (by S!Ri)

If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move SmitfraudFix.exe directly to the root of the system drive (normally C:), and launch from there.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad as you will be in Safe Mode and unable to refer to this page.

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode (before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually)
Double-click on SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, normally C:\rapport.txt

Rightclick on hijackthis exe file and rename it to hjt exe
Post a fresh hijackthis log using hjt exe with rapport txt, and tell how your computer are behaving

process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs as a "RiskTool". It is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.

Also once this was done I found the Video AX folder on my C: programfiles, inside that folder there is a .dll file make a note of the name and then once you have rebooted and you are back in normal mode, get into your registry. Once in the registry look for that file name exactly and then delete the folder it is in. This is how I got rid of all the problems with Video AX Object 2.07.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users