Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hi all, i'm thinking of changeing my processer from a pentium 4 with HT to one of the new dual core processor's that are out now. The thing is will it be any better than the one i have know. I play a lot of games on line & a friend of mine sed there better for this. At this moment i have a pentium 4HT 3.40 GHz 1gig of RAM. OS win xp ser pac 2,,, this is my 1st post i hope i've got it right,,, thanks all ,,, Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

P4's come in 2 basic "flavors" - socket 478 and socket 775. If you've got a socket 478 you'll have to get a new motherboard in order to use a dual-core processor (they're socket 775).

BUT, not all socket 775 motherboards are created equal - you'll have to check to see if your motherboard will support the dual-core processor.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

The duo core will definitly increase the speed of your computer, but what you really have to think about is like he said will it be compatible with your current motherboard.

If in fact it isn't then you'd need to upgrade your motherboard. This will be a few hundred dollars most likely. So, now think would you like to spen more on an intel or less on AMD I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 i believe 3800+ (65W) and it runs better then my dads Core Duo. Tho we dont use the same software and such, but it was cheaper then Intel. So Think about that. AMD is usually cheaper then Intel, but I do think they're about the same either way. AMD is cheaper and many gamers do use it. So, I guess if you need a new motherboard think about AMD as well as Intel and compare prices of course. A good site to buy hardware is Newegg.com it's the cheapest place I've found.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#4 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thankyou for your quick replys, the socket is a 775, so dose this mean my MOBO is compatable, my board is a Fujitsu Siemens P5GD1-FM, hope that helps. once again thanks. Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Your board is socket 775. Here's a link
P5GD1-FM
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 May 2007 - 01:51 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

I looked through the link garmanma sent, and it said your motherboard can only support celeron or Pentium 4 processors. You pretty much got the best processor it can use then.

If you want games to run better, maybe you should get more ram or a new graphics card?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

I thought about more RAM so i went on crucal and took a look, i have a matched pair of 512, so i have bought a matched pair of 1 gig bringing it up tp 3 gig, the mobo can take 4 gig so i think that will help. I have an 512 Nvida grafics card fitted so i dont think an upgrade on that is needed,,, thanks for your help once again all.,,,,, Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users