Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner No Longer Works

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phantomDemon

phantomDemon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

My CD burner no longer works after PLENTY of OK burns.

I now get the following message from Windows Media Player:

"Windows Media Player cannot burn the files to the CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. If necessary, select a slower recording speed or try a different brand of blank discs."

I've tried all SPEEDS and ALL medium.

I have always used Maxell and they burned perfectly.

Then I switched to TDK because of the price for a 30 pack to backup some Sega Dreamcast games I already own and some music CDs that I own.

Upon downloading Disc Juggler to burn the Dreamcast games the problems seemed to start. I was able to burn a few TDKs of Dreamcast games but then it started to give the same error that Window Media Player displays now...

...now any CD burning program(audio or data) I use and no matter what brand blank media I use the burn will be unsucessful.

Has a faulty .dll been installed?
Can this be resolved without a fresh install of XP?

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

Can you still burn disks using Windows Explorer? If not, then the Windows installation has likely been corrupted. If this is the case, a repair install of XP should fix you up: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If burning in Windows Explorer still works, then I'd imagine it was the fault of the burning program. Uninstall it, check to see if everything else works, then reinstall it if you really need it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 phantomDemon

phantomDemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

I forgot that you can burn with explorer so I tested it by burning a small 41KB JPEG and it did burn successfully. So is Windows XP being corrupted now ruled out? Also, WMP did just a successful burn of a music CD. Something is still wierd about all of this. Is someone perhaps messing with me by turning a service off or something? Is the CD burner itself getting old? It is older than 2003 I know that much. How much older thatn 2003 I do not know. No older than 2000 though.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

Maybe you should try one of those CD-Drive cleaning kits.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

Since Explorer can burn, but WMP can't - I'd suspect corruption within WMP. Try uninstalling it through Control Panel to see if it'll revert back to a previous version and then try it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users