Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donkeane

donkeane

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

Hi

I posted the below in the hijack this logs and analysis forum and OldTimer there refered me here. He said there was no sign of any malware or spyware on my system. My os is Xp professional sp2.

HI

It can take up to a few minutes for a page to open with ie7. I have a broadband connection. I have tried going through the microsoft knowledge base but have had no luck in fixing the problem. I have downloaded and ran all the scan you have suggested but these didnt find anything, any help is much apprieciated.

Thanking you

Don

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. HJT Log deleted to prevent confusion with members being able to assist after log deemed clear. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 May 2007 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:19 AM

Depending on your surfuing behavior, do this at least once every two weeks.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:
  • Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
  • Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
  • Click the "Delete Cookies" button
  • Next to it, Click the "Delete Files" button
  • When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content", click OK
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):
  • Go to Tools > Options.
  • Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
  • Click the Clear button located to the right of each option (History, Cookies, Cache).
  • Click OK to close the Options window
    Alternatively, you can clear all information stored while browsing by clicking Clear All.
    A confirmation dialog box will be shown before clearing the information.
* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin[list][*] Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
[*] Let it scan your system for files to remove.
[*] Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.

[*]Press OK to remove them.[/lis

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

If you are unsure what to remove you can produce a log which you can post here. We will go over it and
and see what is what

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

If you have any questions, please feel free to come back to us prior to any action yu are not sure about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users