Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Road Marking Do You Have?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:10 AM

While driving home in the dark last night I was thinking how grateful I was for our system of marking the sides of our roads and wondering how many other countries do the same.

Here in NZ each curve has marker posts set just off the roadway. A single white vertical reflector strip on the left and 2 shorter yellow strips on the right. A curve is picked up from way way back so if you see a white line across the road ahead, you know the road is turning right and vice versa.
On the open road the centre line is marked with continuous white catseye reflectors and another line of yellow ones where there is 'no passing' lines. A red catseye on the left indicates a culvert or other stray hunk of concrete to keep well clear of and in town, a blue catseye shows the location of each fire hydrant (under the road).

What system do you have?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

I like driving the back roads.
The roads I drive on, most often, are either blacktop (asphalt), or gravel, and barely 2 lanes wide.
Neither one of them have any markings.
No centerlines, or any markings showing where the road stops, and the ditch starts.
The only road signs, are speed limit signs, and at intersections, they sometimes have a stop sign, and a street sign.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:13 AM

Sounds a bit scary, tg. Wouldn't want to meet too many oncoming vehicles.

I didn't mention that the offside edge of the carriageway is also marked with a white strip so that you can always concentrate on that if blinded.

Yours sounds like the roads I grew up on. LOL

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

as i drive on a lot of motorways the signs i see are usually slow down congestion,queue ahead,or motorway
closed.
god i hate to drive :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:31 AM

The more highly the travelled road, the more safety techniques are used and maintained. So one finds US highways much like NZ as well as roads and lanes like TG describes. The fortunate thing about rural roads is that while they are not very wide, they are not heavily travelled.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 May 2007 - 07:23 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were driving West from Glacier Park in Montana to Seattle. We were just truckin along Highway 2 when the pavement ended and the Highway turned into a gravel road! No signs or markers, just an abrupt drop. I ended up driving that road back in a whiteout/blizzard. :thumbsup:

Strange days!
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#7 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

whiteout/blizzard.

as we don't have many of them here in the u.k we are never really geared up for them . i remember one time about five years ago we had really bad snow followed by frost and the roads were covered in black iceand as i had to get home from work i had to drive .anyhow as i was about a mile from where i lived
(i was on a major road )there was about ten cars going really slow when all of a sudden the car at the front went into a skid followed closely by me and the other 8 cars .was very scary at the time ,but laugh about it now as not one car hit anything and i suppose to watch it would have been like scyronized swimmers performing a routine i know it's a bit :thumbsup: but just thought i would share my lucky escape
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

Where I grew up the only road signs i saw were Speed Limits, Railroad crossings, and stop signs. Then I moved to the city where they have Stop Lights, yield signs, and all kinds of useless signs.

On a side note: Today was the first day I had to use those walk/dont walk signs that you have to press the buttons. I immediately wished i had found a closer parking spot. LOL

Posted Image

#9 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

wow first time using pedestrian crossing thats really hard for me to concieve as we have them everywere
and when i was young we had the green cross code man (david prowse was darth vader in star wars ,body not voice)its strange for me as i do it daily and never give a second thought :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

I can sympathise with 'unusual' road conditions and lack of markings, but in my case it was driving through the countryside of Wales with my dear elderly uncle. Narrow seeminly one lane roads with very high scrubbery right beside and often protruding over the roadway ... he would beep his horn like crazy coming around blind corners - and either he or the oncoming car would veer off the road into the scrubs - car would go by and back onto the road he would go - with literally twigs and branches hanging from the side mirror, etc! And with nary a stop in his conversation - eep! Both my husband and I drove professionally and always thought ourself fairly fearless but cripes!! :thumbsup: Even if we'd been able to find a car rental place it would have been doubtful if we could have found our way around - not a single street sign either! (But incredible scenery and people!).

In Scotland (and please, no yelling at me by any Scottish people - grin!), we rented a car and after getting used to the 'wrong side' of road and roundabouts, etc, off we went to find my father's birthplace, etc. Our map showed a new bridge between us and our destination and off we went - paid the toll, drove across the bridge - only to discover the road ended on the other side - literally! Turned the car around and headed back over the bridge - and got charged a toll going the other way. We were laughing so hard that I'm sure the gentleman in the toll booth thought we were daft, but (and forgive me here) only the Scottish could be that 'tight' - hoot!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

and all kinds of useless signs.

I know what you are talking about! Do they have more stupid signs than necessary or what?! A sign to warn me of the stoplight? :trumpet: Or, near my home here, there is a sign that warns, "Danger, High Accident Intersection." So now people are busy reading the sign as they approach the intersection! :flowers:

And it seems there are never signs where they need to be. A deadman's curve will be unmarked, yet a gentle curve will have warning signs. Go figure! :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#12 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

One of my favorites signs is the one that shows a picture of a jumping deer and below it say X Crossing! :thumbsup: I guess it leaves no doubt about what kind of area you're in. Oh another one is through mountainous country---Watch Out for Falling Rocks! and the ones on the on ramps to highways that state that you can't be on there if you are : on a bicycle, a horse, or hitchhiking--Duh!! :flowers:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users