Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Reboots.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MatCon5

MatCon5

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hello all.

I have a small problem with random reboots and playing games.
I'll be a random amount of time into Oblivion, or older games such as Divine Divinity (Then there are games that don't seem to bother it, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Counter Strike : Source, a few others).
And my system just up and reboots on me. No error messages, nothing in the event log etc. Even with turning off restarting on a error from the control panel. I've done scans for everything, cleaned up, defragmented my hard drives, cleaned out some dusts etc. I have nothing overclocked as well.
I've had my system sent to a Tech. He ran memtest, Prime95 and 3DMark for hours on end, even let most of them go overnight. Nothing seems wrong at all, other than these random reboots.
I have updated drivers and chipsets etc as well.

There is an update for my BIOS, but it does something to the CPU Microcode, I didn't think that was needed.

My system is as follows
Enermax 480W PSU
MSI Neo-F Mainboard P965 (Conroe board)Intel E6600 @ 2.4Ghz
BFG 7900GT
2 x 1gig Super*Talent RAM
2 x WD Cavier 250G 8MB Cache
Onboard Audio

From Everest;

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type HDD
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures
CPU 50 C (122 F)
GPU 51 C (124 F)
WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1 52 C (126 F)
WDC WD2500JS-22NCB1 40 C (104 F)

And voltages in BIOS under Computer Health read as.
System Temperature - 38C
CPU Temperature - 47C
CPU VCore - 1.35V
3.3 V - 3.29V
5 V - Between 5.12 and 5.15V
5VSB - Between 5.12 and 5.15V

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

Hi, have you checked the bios for Temperature shut down settings? The PSU seems a git low for gaming Im running a 650W and thats only average. But I would doubt it would reboot your system.
MCP
MSDST

#3 MatCon5

MatCon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'm not sure where to find those within my BIOS, I looked all around my BIOS settings for info. But I will try and look again.

I did find that my RAM specifications are 5-5-5-15 and should run on V1.8.
But in my BIOS it's set to 5-5-5-12 and V1.85. Should I change it to what is specified, or leave it set to [AUTO] in the BIOS.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

Leave the RAM and other BIOS settings alone for now.

I'd suggest checking in your Event Viewer for errors around the times of the reboots. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Left click once on each of the categories in the left hand pane and check the corresponding entries in the right hand pane. Of special interest should be the Application and System categories.

Let us know about any errors that you find.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MatCon5

MatCon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

Looking in the event viewer, Under application I found a few Errors, for a few games but they happen rarely, Like playing Counter Strike Source, and when joining certain servers sometimes get a datacache.dll error. That stuff is all over Steam forums and will look into that later. More concerned about these random reboots.

Under system the only ones I find are these two.

Error.
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CA82CF8A-4B5F-4E47-8086-C55E41BA1512}. The backup browser is stopping.

Warning.
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\DOWNSTAIRS-PC on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CA82CF8A-4B5F-4E47-8086-C55E41BA1512}. The data is the error code.

And regarding my RAM. On the MSI website looking at specs of my mainboard, in bold red text it says this.

"Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. "

Thanks for all the help so far.

Edited by MatCon5, 07 May 2007 - 11:23 AM.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

And regarding my RAM. On the MSI website looking at specs of my mainboard, in bold red text it says this.

"Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. "

Can you post the link for that message.
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

Is the Downstairs PC online and operating? There may be some issues with your network setup if you're continually getting errors of this sort.

But, I would first check out the RAM - as it's the most likely reason for the rebooting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 MatCon5

MatCon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure what could be wrong with the downstairs pc, it's operating fine, and is online.

But yes, my RAM. It seems after I have manually set all my RAM settings, 5-5-5-15, 1.8V, and setting the frequency to 667Mhz I have not experienced any random reboots. It seems that's what must have been causing the problem. Thanks for all the help guys. If a reboot returns, so shall I!

Thanks again! you guys are great.

EDIT--

Oh and here is the link to the mainboard I have, and the warning I posted above.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....-F&class=mb

Edited by MatCon5, 09 May 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

Glad its sorted!
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users