Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Cables

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tmm5899

tmm5899

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

A person disconnected the cables in my computer and put a cd burner in my computer they did not come back and reconnect the cables and a computer place wants to charge me $50 to connect the cables can someone tell me how to connect the cables i have a cd rom a drive and cd burner and hard drove i am not familiar with computers to know what the cables come from to connect to each if the items i listed so it would help if there were pictures that show where the cables come from and go to each of the items :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

It would help to know if you drives are SATA or not, but on the off chance that the aren't here goes.

Most hard drives, CD and DVD drives have a IDE cable which attaches them to the motherboard which usually has two connectors for these. These motherboard connections are usually labeled a and b or 1 and 2, the hdd should go in the a or 1 by itself. This link will take you to a diagram of a IDE cable and its proper installation. The connector and the cable will only go together one way, but you can put the IDE cable in backwards. If you look at the cable you will see that two of the connectors are closer together at one end, these are the connectors that go to the drives. There is a red line on one side of this cable which designates its connection to pin one, I know someone would have been disappointed if I hadn't added this.

The CD and DVD drives will share the same IDE cable and will attach as shown in the link that was provided. On the rear of the CD and DVD drives looking from right to left you will first see four larger pins, these are for the 12V power connector, next is the IDE connector pins, after that there are six pins, three on top and three below, these are the jumper pins, these set the drive for master, slave, and cable select. There should be a jumper connecting one of the upper and lower pins. The drives will be connected as master and slave to the IDE cable and the drives will need to have the jumpers set to master and slave matching their location on the IDE calbe. If there isn't a diagram of the pin configuration you may have to google you drives to find out how the are set. Most a master, slave, and cable select from left to right, but check to be sure.

The only connection left is the power, there is a four wire connector with two black wires and a yellow and red wire. If you look at the plug the corners on one side are rounded, this is the top side. This connects to the four larger pins on the right side looking at the rear of the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users