Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp 2 Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sippy

Sippy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

My daughter was given a computer without SP 2 installed. I have spent a while trying to install it without success.

I receive the error that C:\windows\system32\ftp.exe is in use and to close it before continuing the install.

There was no virus/malware protection on this computer when we received it. I have installed AVG, Windows Defender, and Zone Alert to this point.

I'm at a loss.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

You could try downloading XP SP2 for IT professionals at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse....6D-CBE61F040027
after downloading the update you can install it.
I am not sure what is causing that error but I Am sure someone else will.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

I found this on an internet search.

Believe this problem to most likely be caused by virus or spyware, which caused ftp.exe to be recoded so that access is denied to even the administrator.
The problem with XP Home Edition is that there is no permission settings to be able to take ownership of files.
In order to fix for XP Home, you need to boot to the recovery console on the XP setup CD.
Then path to the system32 folder where ftp.exe located and rename ftp.exe to whatever you want. I just renamed to ftpexe.old . Then you can boot back into windows and install service pack 2 just fine.
Once SP2 installation is complete, you'll want to go into the i386 folder either on the XP setup CD or on your hard drive and copy ftp.exe to system32, because Service pack 2 does not replace the file.

Personally, I would copy any vital data off the computer, format and reinstall windows.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

just had a look through the file database it appears ftp.exe could be a trojan,however when i googled the name on some sites it is a proper application maybe you should get hjt team to look at your log just to be sure(better to be safe)here is the link for hjt preparationstart heregood luck :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users