Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

My Dell All-In-One 922 printer won't fit in my new computer desk/armoire printer cubbyhole. The hole is only 18"wide, 16-17" deep and only 10" tall. The height constraint pretty much eliminates any vertical paper feeders at the back of the machine (thus eliminating all Dell Printers). The new one must have horizontal paper input/output trays. I've spent the last three days researching compact inkjets by HP, Canon & Brother, reading tons of user opinions of them over at CNET Reviews. As you might guess, most printers reviewed at CNET get both positive & negative user opinions pretty much equally, but you rarely hear how long the people have used the models they are reviewing.

Thought I'd see if anyone here is using a really compact all-in-one make/model (I don't need fax capability) for at least a year & has gotten "as advertised" performance out of it. Info on your experience with ink consumption/costs would also be helpful, as I have found that though Dell printers are cheap & perform well, their ink costs are very high.

Edited by buttoni, 06 May 2007 - 12:09 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

SawZall :thumbsup: Seriously though, A nice Brother laser printer would fit in there real nice. Sorry I couldn't be any help
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

I agree with garmanma. I own the Brother HL-2040 laser printer and it's excellent. That's if you don't really care about not being able to print color, by the way.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

I like the economy versions of the Samsung laser printers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

Just do what I do go to goodwill buy a nice looking Filing Cabinet/end table/tv stand and set your printer on that. $5 Vs $50-200. Thats what my Laptop, Printer, and Tower sit on

Posted Image

#6 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:18 AM

Just do what I do go to goodwill buy a nice looking Filing Cabinet/end table/tv stand and set your printer on that. $5 Vs $50-200. Thats what my Laptop, Printer, and Tower sit on

Thanks for the suggestion, but I only wish I could. The armoire fills the wall it's on with no room to either side of it. Getting the printer stand OUT of the room was the impetus for buying the armoire to begin with. There is just too much furniture crammed up in a room with little available wall space (has large archway entrances on three walls).

I'm going to take a closer look at the little Canon Pixma All-In-One inkjets. The Pixma MP150, 160, 170, or 180 will physically fit in the slot. User ratings indicate they perform pretty well for entry level printers. I don't need fax capability and really only use the printer for the occasional webpage print, so an entry level printer is just fine for my uses. Haven't researched ink costs yet.

Any members here using one of the aforementioned Pixma's willing to make a comment pro or con?
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Reply to Vanek & Usasma:

Thanks for the input guys. I wish there were a laser printer small enough to fit, but they all appear to be too tall for my 10" height clearance. Kyocera was advertising a really small laserjet on on TV just yesterday, but it must be very new, as it's not mentioned/pictured on their webpage yet. Sure looked compact. The ad showed it in operation next to two other brand of compact printers and input was virtually internal. Output was on top of machine. Precisely what I need. Looked as small as the Canon Pixma! They didn't site the model number, but I will definitely pursue more info on that one. They's always made great office machines.

Edited by buttoni, 08 May 2007 - 08:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users