Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continued Ubuntu Install Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

I've got the 6.06 CD from Canonical and have used it to smoothly install Ubuntu on an older laptop, so CD seems OK.

Now trying to install on a seven year old Compaq (Presario 7465) that had 128MB of RAM. After repeated (and almost instantaneous) failures to even initiate the loading process, I posted here and in the Ubuntu forums and was advised by many that 128MB just wasn't enough RAM. So I spent some money and now have 256MB with existing OS (W98SE) operating OK.

Now the Ubuntu CD loads and reaches the live-CD stage without problems. Then I hit the "install" button and after what seems to be a too-long interval (something like two minutes) I get the "Welcome" screen which asks me to select the default language. English (what I want) is already highlighted, so I then hit the "Forward" button which results in the spinning-wheel icon. That continues for about a minute whilst the CD drive is spinning, then the CD drive becomes silent, the wheel stops spinning, and everything is frozen solid. No mouse or keyboard action possible. Only way out is power switch.

I've repeated this process five times with exactly same result (the classic definition of insanity?). Hoping someone can assist with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Edited by twinsdad, 06 May 2007 - 11:23 AM.

"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

Check your bios. See if write to boot sector is protected or off. Also, some of the older boards required you to tell it if it was running an operating system other than windows, check this as well.

That's the only 2 things I can come up with right now. I assume you have checked the compatability of your hardware all ready.

Another suggestion may be try to do a text only install. This is much less demanding and accomplishes the exact same thing.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Joedude: Just back from Little League practice. I've done everything you suggested except the text only install. Will attempt that and let you know. Thanks for response.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users