Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mailwasher Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hi!
I had someone in the past install MailWasher Pro version 5.3 on my system.
Does anyone else use an email "screener"?
I've been running into a problem with it lately. When I right click on the icon to check new mail, I get an error message that none of the servers could be found or connected. I have to click on it a second time to bring up the main page of MailWasher.

As I didn't set this program up, I'm not sure of how to look for updates + more importantly, what info needs to be entered.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

5.3 is the latest version so you are OK. It is definitely a handy program to have because it makes getting rid of unwanted/uninvited spam email before you download email to your regular email client very easy, especially if you have a lot of spam email.

When I right click on the icon to check new mail, I get an error message that none of the servers could be found or connected.

If you can, give the specific error that you get when this happens.

I have to click on it a second time to bring up the main page of MailWasher.

This leads me to believe that it sits in your taskbar minimized. You can keep it that way if you want to, or you can close down the program after you are done with your email session.

what info needs to be entered

To do so automatically, assuming that the info on your dektop email client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc..) is entered correctly, from within Mailwasher go to Tools > Accounts & from the box that pops up, choose Import & click once to highlight whichever applies, & click Import on the bottom of that window; you should now see the account listed in the Accounts window, click Close & you are done. If you want to do this manually, choose Run Wizard from the Accounts window. By the way, if any accounts are already listed in the Accounts window, you can highlight each of the accounts listed & click on Properties to doublecheck that the information is entered correctly.

If all of this seems overwhelming, a good place to start would be to choose the Help button & select either Program Help or FAQ. Both of those contain a wealth of helpful information to better understand how Mailwasher works. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 06 May 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I've looked over the help+FAQ sections before, but a lot of it just doesn't seem to click.
The message I got this morning was that the session timed out-no connectin to the server.
This seems to be happening on a daily basis ever since we installed a router for my mom's laptop.
Can a router interfere?
Thank you

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Okay, I have detailed info re: MailWasher Pro error messages.
It just happened again to me after being away from my computer for a few hours. I did not shut my system down. It was on screen saver mode.

The messages involved 3 of my accounts.
1) The network is down or DNS failed.

2) Could not connect to Hotmail. Socket error # 10053. Software caused connection abort.

3) No such host. Ensure that POP3 server is correct.

Also, when I was clicking on the error messages, I got a notice in my system tray that I now had connection to the internet. Very strange as I never lost power or had to reboot.

Is there anyone here that might guide me thru understanding these messages from MailWasher?
Thank you

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:42 PM

It just happened again to me after being away from my computer for a few hours. I did not shut my system down. It was on screen saver mode

What I would suggest on this one is not to have Mailwasher running if you are going to step away from the computer. What may be happening is that there is a setting enabled in your firewall that blocks access while in screen saver mode resulting in errors . To be honest with you, unless it is absolutley necessary to your specific needs I would shut Mailwasher down & start it back up whenever you are in front of your computer. When you launch the program it will check all of your accounts & download any emails from the server.

Could not connect to Hotmail. Socket error # 10053. Software caused connection abort

You have to have a paid Hotmail account in order for Mailwasher to have the ability to retrieve email from there. It's the same with Yahoo Mail. Clik this link > How Do I Get Yahoo/Hotmail To Work With MailWasher. Somtimes Anit-virus programs may give you the 10053 error.

No such host. Ensure that POP3 server is correct

Two things you need to check for this:

1. Check to see that all of the information for each of your account settings is correct including passwords. They have to be exact since any minor infraction would result in Mailwasher giving you this error.

2. A recommended setting for Mailwasher is to go to Tools > Options > Connections & where it says Internet Connection: When Mailwasher Checks for Mail use the drop - down arrow on the right & select Assume I'm Online.

Also, just to point out to you, if you are using a Desktop email client such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird in conjunction with Mailwasher you will need to disable any automatic email checks from within that program to avoid any simultaneous email checks with it & Mailwasher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users