Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Not The Most Recent Versions Of Applications

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'm interested in buying several applications, but they do not have to be the most recent versions. I'm wondering should I look for a computer show or are there good internet sites? What's the best way to search for them and how do I know they are reliable?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

What kinds of applications are you looking for?
Have you considered freeware.
Most freeware applications, are as good as the pay-for version, if not better.
Check out our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.
You might find what you need, there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

Wow, thanks. I knew there were many available, but not that many with the huge scope.

I do not think I will need to purchase any of the apps, but can one buy the not the most recent apps on the internet or computer show? I am looking for All of Adobe and many others

Thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

Yes there are sites out there. I've used this site with no problems. Be sure to check out any vendor before you buy online at Reseller ratings Online stores you'll be able to return things if there are problems. Computer shows? Who knows
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

With the free apps you need to read the licence carefully. Some apps are free for non comercial use only. This means if it is used for a business for company gain then they could have a licence fee attached. Always good to read the licence very carefully. I know it is a pain to read the whole thing but it is worth it just to be licence complient.
Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

The problem with buying used copies is that you cannot be sure of the quality of the disks themselves, whether they are actually genuine, and whether they contain documentation and (where applicable) key codes. Always make sure that you have recourse for any such purchase.
On the other hand, if you can buy a new copy of an superseded application from a reputable source on clearance, this is a great way to save money, since most versions of an application are backward compatible, and many new features on the latest version may be fluff and the prior version may have all the functionality that you need.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users