Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brandscill

Brandscill

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Today I notced vista was jumping up and down saying there is one update for you to download the update is
KB932818

(also these other 2 optional updates for drivers)

Anyway so I thought, sure ok go for it. It got to 5% and just never moved from there. 4 hours later no change. Well. My p.c needs to be shut off as I was going out no worries it will do it next time. But no, now when ever it goes to install, it can't reconise the file size and it remains on 0% forever. I was like fine! Manual install found the install on microsoft downloaded it. It launches windows update standalone installer, and it just searches, and searches, and searches.

So then I thought, maybe just maybe it's that one update I know! I'll try the optional update. Nope, no luck. Still constant 0% Maybe it's my internet set up (runs to second vista p.c) update runs fine(bugger) So I am now lost

Please can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have a suggestion -

turn off automatic updating entirely.

Yeah, I know, Vista will tell you it isn't recommended. But get tough - it's only a computer.

Then re-boot.

Everything should be fine, let the PC complete the boot process.

Then turn on automatic updating, using whatever setting you prefer (auto install, download but ask, etc.).

Then re-boot again.

Let us know if it's still having a problem, OK?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:46 AM

You could also try clicking the tray icon and then, if it is showing, right click the file and select the option to hide it. It will then not pop up again.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

Not to worry you, but I read some where online today that there is a hacker out there trying to use a windows update scare to enter computers. I have been to so many security sites today I can't send you there. KB932818 is a good number, I would make sure it comes from M/S site.

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:46 AM

That is a genuine update. Look here:
http://itsvista.com/update_list/

(Slow loader)

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

I recommend going to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us. There are many smarter people than me on B/C than me, just check back every now and then. Their will more replies from some very smart people.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

Search your hard drive for files and folders with 932818 in the name - let us know what you find. Hopefully there's be an uninstaller in the folder, or a simple delete may also fix it.

Also, try clearing your Temporary Internet Files in IE.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:57 AM

The update IS genuine. It is an "accumulative" update, incorporating all previous updates, for the Media Centre.
It is 3.9mbs so should not take long.
Notes. It will only install on Premium or Ultimate. It checks you OS for "genuinity" and activation before proceeding.
Guessing: If you should manage to download it, and you OS is not genuine/out-of-date activation, the you may find Vista will go into restricted mode. Should any of these conditions be applicable in your case, I would suggest you "hide" that download permanently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users