Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Clicked A Masked Link!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danetech

danetech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

Greetings all. Let me thank you ahead of time for reading this post. This is my first post asking for help on the forum and am looking forward to getting some help with it.

Tonight, I was reading on a forum that I have never been on before. It was a game site, so I felt pretty comfortable. Someone got talking about a new game coming out and somebody posted a link that "Gives information on it." The link itself looked fine... I clicked it, and it took me to a site that I was on for all of 2 seconds tops. I saw a foriegn language and immediatley jumped off.

Looked back at the safe link and when I hovered over it the bottom task bar gave me the correct information.
Do not click www.tubecharts.de.vu Do not click

This is the site I went to on accedent.

I'm extremely paranoid when It comes to keyloggers and malicious software. Is there anyway I can figure out if this site it bad? I scanned with Spybot, AdAware S&E personal, I keep an updated SpywareBlaster, and I scanned with AVG Anti-virus. After clicking the link my computer I lagged for a bit. What can I do to rest assured I have nothing malicious on my computer from this site? (I do online banking and have plenty of passwords that I don't want to change. (I am actually posting this on a different computer))

Would rolling back a day ahead on system restore do the trick? Can my anti-virus and anti-spyware programs detect keyloggers or anything it could have installed?

If anyone knows what that site is it'd be nice to know as well. Could just be me throwing stuff at the dark. I only saw the page for a few seconds, but like I said, I'm extremely paranoid.

Thank you.
-Dane

Edited by danetech, 06 May 2007 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:08 AM

Hi danetech and welcome to BC!

To be on the safe side please do an online scan:

Please go HERE to run Panda's Posted Image ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Posted Image button
  • A new window will open.
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Posted Image
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on Posted Image to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the Posted Image button, Posted Image

Let us know what the online scan found!

Stelios :thumbsup:

#3 danetech

danetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Stelios,

Thanks a lot for that website and your help. I ran the test, and it didn't find a thing. I'm assuming this is a good thing :thumbsup:

It has been, however, a few years and my computer has gotten sluggish. Every few years, I wipe my computer and do a clean install, which is what I did soon after scanning. My question is, if there was a keylogger on the computer that the scan did not catch--- would it be eliminated after a clean install?

Also, after a keylogger is installed does it only detect keystrokes after it gets on your computer? Or can it find information already entered in the past. After clicking that link last night, I didn't enter any private information. So now, on this new install of XP, should I change my passwords or am I OK?

Thanks so much for your help. Good to be part of the forums.

Edited by danetech, 06 May 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#4 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

Hi danetech

I'm assuming this is a good thing

Definitely good!

Also the tools you have didn’t detect something you are clean don’t worry!

You can reed more about Keyloggers here:

Keyloggers: How they work and how to detect them

Thanks D-Trojanator!

So now, on this new install of XP, should I change my passwords or am I OK?

You are OK!

Stelios :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users