Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Bye Window...maybe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Boxers

Boxers

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

I have a Compaq Presario ..pentium 4 512 ram and 160 gig hd....and a corrupt Windows XP. The registry was corrupted by a virus and the people gave me the machine...it will not boot, but displays a Registry can not update.

I want to install Ubuntu Linux as the ONLY OS on this machine.....How can I remove WindowsXP so I can install Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Just tell the Ubuntu installer to use the whole drive. Very easy to do just did this to my Laptop with Xubuntu

Posted Image

#3 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

:thumbsup: The situation I have is that the crap window...LOL... will not allow for boot od the system...I can acces the drives but I have to us Bart PE. Is there away I can direct the machine to allow the Linux to install??

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

:thumbsup: The situation I have is that the crap window...LOL... will not allow for boot od the system...I can acces the drives but I have to us Bart PE. Is there away I can direct the machine to allow the Linux to install??

Please Expand and clarify on this if you can. If you use Bart PE (a CD you boot from)for windows then you should have no issues using the Ubuntu CD to do the same for Ubuntu.

Posted Image

#5 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

AAA here is the problem...even with Bart PE I can only get so far. I tried booting and installing LInux but no luck. Using Bart I can access the drives and issue commands or run mebu, but the registry on the windows does not allow any booting except with Bart.

My goal is to get around this OS and have a complete Linux machine. I know there is away, but my little gray matter will not allow me to do it. That and the window problem get me so pi*%$* off I lose patienece.

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:27 AM

Pick a maintenance tool of your choice. Whether it's a dos bootdisk with format or fdisk on it or using a kn/gnoppix disk or the Ubuntu disk. You'll have to go the website and see how to use these disks as a maintenance tool.

Basically, if you want to get rid of windows entirely, then you have to format and repartition your entire 160GB Hard drive. As it's XP, it will most likely be NTFS (which linux hates) and you need to put it in a format Linux uses. This can be anything from FAT32 to RieserFS to Ext2 or Ext3, depending on your distro of choice. Ubuntu like Ext2 or Ext3.

I think my question to you is this:

Are you truely ready and willing to totally ditch windows on this compuer?, Once you format, it's gone forever (well, at least until you put it on again).
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#7 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

This is a unit that was given to me already corrupt. I have one unit running WindowsXP ans a Toshiba Notebood running XP. Since this machine is a "freebie" and I have been wanting to try Linux it seems the perfect time to try it.

I have checked and am just wondering if a new harddrive may be easier.......LOL.

#8 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Don't waste your money. That hard drive is fine...If you just insist on getting rid of it, send it to me! I could use a 160Gb Hdd!

Just wipe it dude. GPARTED on that Ubuntu disk is a powerfull and easy to use tool to format that hard drive with. Give it a shot. From what you said, the Operating system is fried, not the hard drive.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#9 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

:thumbsup: Heaven

I got UBUNTU installed on my Compaq....I had down loaded the OS and burned to CD using Sonic Record Now and the CD would not install...thought it was the machine or drive. I was talking to an IT guy and he suggested I redownload OS and burn using Infrarecorder...I did both and WOW. iIt worked.

I have only been pinging on it for a few hours, but I may close the window and move to full time Linux.

Thanks for all ya'lls help and patience... :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users