Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question To 'admin' About My Privacy!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ok, out of curiosity i did a 'google' search on the 1st part of my email address.
It pulled up quite a lot of info.
But what really surprised me was that i also pulled up my profile here at bleeping computer!
Can anyone explain to me why a site that advocates 'privacy'.... shows your profile to the world?
The 'google' search didn't show any other profile from any other site that i'm a member of! ( except for 'stumble upon....... which i've now cancelled my membership with)
Showing your name in relationship to threads and posts, that i can understand........ but your profile!
I thought profiles were only accessible to other members.

BBPP6nz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

I'm wondering if it let you see it because you can log on and see it?

Have you tried this on another PC, one that doesn't have an auto logon to this site?

Just curious.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

Also,

were any of the other boards using Invision Power Board v2.1.7 ?

Just even more curious.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

Google your name and profile and you will be surprised what you will find,in a lot of cases.
I was surprised,and disgusted that some Forums advertise your Profile to the world. :trumpet:
CNET is another culprit. :flowers:

Just asked 'WHY' on cnet. 'Forum Feedback'.Interesting if I get a response. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 06 May 2007 - 12:38 AM.

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

It's not like your profile page is super secret or anything, just click on anyone's name at the forum and there is their profile. The Gogglebots can look at that page just like it does any other public page on the forums, Goggle found your email address in your profile page because you have your email address showing in it. Hide your email from your profile and the webbots will not be able to find it.

Now if you were to find a link to your controls (account), then there would be a security problem but the webbots can not get there so there is really nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ronbo, 06 May 2007 - 01:06 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:23 AM

It's not like your profile page is super secret or anything, just click on anyone's name at the forum and there is their profile. The Gogglebots can look at that page just like it does any other public page on the forums, Goggle found your email address in your profile page because you have your email address showing in it. Hide your email from your profile and the webbots will not be able to find it.

Now if you were to find a link to your controls (account), then there would be a security problem but the webbots can not get there so there is really nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info,'Ronbo' :flowers: I am not over reacting,I don't feel. Any Guest or Member, are welcome to view my profile. Makes our experience more Family orientated,by sharing, Interests,Country,Birthday etc.
It was not meant to be advertised on the Web, outside the Forum. Just my Opinion.
I realise anytime we click on the Net,we are Public Property.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

What i'm really asking is.......
why does my profile from here show, but not from the other 3 forums i'm a member of.
The info is the same on all of them.

BBPP6nz.png

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

Looked into this a bit deeper.
Folding has my profile on the www.
Some of my actual posts on BC are on the www.
I didn't put them there.

Edited by DSTM, 06 May 2007 - 03:48 AM.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

Google your own user name and you might be amazed at what comes up..

Last night I tried to find some info on the PC I sold to kasploticus. Put the full info on the computer into Google, inside quotes, and the only hit I got was my Introduction post here at BC!!!!

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

I am not over reacting,I don't feel. Any Guest or Member, are welcome to view my profile. Makes our experience more Family orientated,by sharing, Interests,Country,Birthday etc.

What's the difference if it's a Guest, or any other person on the internet.
They are same, since guest are not members.

Some of my actual posts on BC are on the www.
I didn't put them there.

The Google bots, put them there.Google bots crawl every public page on the internet, to gather information for search results.
Search Google for DSTM+bleepingcomputer, and you'll see all of the posts you've made, at BC.
If this was a private forum (password required to view the forum), then you would not see any of your posts, in search results.

Last night I tried to find some info on the PC I sold to kasploticus. Put the full info on the computer into Google, inside quotes, and the only hit I got was my Introduction post here at BC!!!!

Use just your user name, rowal5555, and you'll get more results.
It'll list every post you've ever made, on the internet.

Edited by tg1911, 06 May 2007 - 06:59 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

Thanks tg. Have done that in the past and found sites I'd forgotten I was even a member of. LOL

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

Thanks Starbuck and tg for making members aware just how open the Internet really is.I didn't have a clue before today that these posts are not secure on BC. I don't think the average Joe is aware of this.
This is the answer I got from CNET for those interested.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7598_102-0.htm...ssageID=2479184

#13 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

I think sometimes we just take the internet for granted and don't really look into what's really going on.
I shall definitely be more aware in future.

BBPP6nz.png

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

General rule of thumb; Don't post anything on the internet, that you don't want the general public, to see.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:18 AM

Everyone is overreacting a bit here. I also think people need to relax and do a bit more research before jumping to conclusions.

The 'google' search didn't show any other profile from any other site that i'm a member of! ( except for 'stumble upon....... which i've now cancelled my membership with)

I am not sure what sites you belong to, but I am sure if I knew, I could find some public profile information in google from them. That is if they are indexed well by google.

I thought profiles were only accessible to other members.

All profiles, and this has always been this way, are visible to guests and members. As TG said, since Google is treated as a guest, and the profile information is publicly available it gets added.

Why this is a big deal anyway? There is absolutely no personally identifiable information in the profiles unless you put it there. We do not disclose any personally identifiable information unless required by the law. As of now, this has never happened.

As for other sites, and this is just a sample of a few that came to the top of my head that also show their profiles.

GeeksTogo
TechGuy
Castlecops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users