Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Batch Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

I'm looking for a good instruction guide for batch files; in my case, specifically for Windows XP. I Googled for information, but all I found were guides to write batch files to copy/backup files and folders. Let me give you an example: A while ago, I came across a batch file that changes the priority of a program for you when you run it. It was basically a "copy/paste" kind of thing, where the only instructions were to add the name of the program to the file. There was no explanation on how it actually worked. I used it to make my wife's video games operate on high priority, so that they play more smoothly for her. They work.

I'm guessing that there are many other neat things that can be done with batch files. I'd prefer an actual manual or book, if possible, and am wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for me. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 06 May 2007 - 01:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:30 AM

If you really want to do batch stuff you might want to look into PowerShell, which is supposed to replace the existing command console in the next version of Windows. Now you can download it as an add-on. It has a scripting language very similar to Visual Basic. Lets you do the same things as batch files and more.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:19 AM

Shoot, I ALMOST posted this in programming, but took a guess that it didn't quite qualify. Thanks, Acklan.

Mr. Alpha: Just took a quick look at your link. PowerShell looks interesting. Thank you for the tip.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

Shoot, I ALMOST posted this in programming,

You did. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Umm.... No, I didn't.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

My pleasure. Glad to help.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

Coming to this topic late, but this site imho is the bible in batch programming:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/robnav.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users