Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting? Replacing Hard Disk?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

I want to install Windows 2000 instead of Vista on the new laptop I am getting. I won't be getting any Vista re-installation disks with the machine, but there is a recovery partition on the hard disk from which disks can be created. I don't know if I'll be able to make the disks (I'm not sure at what point the EULA pops up) but it may be possible to get disks sent. If I have the recovery disks, will they reinstall the program down the track if it is wiped completely and overwritten now? If so, any clues as to where I can find instructions on reformatting the hard disk - it isn't DOS any more, is it? Or, is it feasible to swap the hard drive for a new one and install Windows 2000 on that, put the other one away and put it back later if Vista is needed? If so, does replacing a disk usually go smoothly? (eg is it common to get a faulty drive? Am I likely to mess anything up?). Any suggestions as to what's best to do? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

What laptop are you getting?

As far as the questions, I can provide some general answers.

Recovery disks normally are used to restore the original software to a replacement hard drive, they format the drive, create a recovery partition and reload all original software to a clean drive. They can also be used to recover the original hard drive if there are problems with the recovery partition. It can be feasible to install win2000, IF all drivers for your laptop can be located. You stand a better chance of being able to locate XP drivers.

To format the original drive, If you boot off the Win2000 or XP Disk(CD) the full format is part of the installation. If the drive in the new laptop is SATA, you must have a prepared driver disk and an external floppy before you try to do anything. You can buy an additional hard drive, and set the original aside for storage.

There are very few actual drive failures on new drives, my personal numbers are less than ten in thousands of new drives.

Edited by oldf@rt, 05 May 2007 - 03:27 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Thanks oldf@rt :thumbsup:

What laptop are you getting?

HP Compaq Presario V3230AU

It can be feasible to install win2000, IF all drivers for your laptop can be located. You stand a better chance of being able to locate XP drivers.

Interestingly, HP told me that there are no XP drivers (but I've read a post where they have been tracked down and I just found some on the HP site). I found that strange because this is an older model which must have come with XP before. Anyway, although the drivers for XP are available, XP itself is not.

I looked on the site and found Win2000 drivers for the touchpad and for Quick Launch buttons. I have no idea what drivers are needed - do I have to find the drivers for the graphics and the processor and ? Or are some of them in the program?

If the drive in the new laptop is SATA

I couldn't find this info in the HP site, all I could find is that some models have "enhanced SATA support" (whatever that is...). I guess I'll have to find out when I get it.

you must have a prepared driver disk and an external floppy before you try to do anything.

Thanks. I will make sure I do.

You can buy an additional hard drive, and set the original aside for storage. There are very few actual drive failures on new drives, my personal numbers are less than ten in thousands of new drives.

I am thinking that just swapping the hard drive might be best - if the installation goes awry, I'll still have the

Edited by tekchallenged, 05 May 2007 - 10:18 PM.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

If you can find the listing of the specifications at HPs site, just check the hardware compatibility list(s) for XP and 2000 at microsoft. any device on the list will install automatically.

XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314062

2000 and NT http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131303

then all you would need is any missing devices.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

Thanks. So, can it be installed and see what (if anything) works, or is that a no-no? What do you think is the likelihood of not being able to find all drivers? (If it is going to be too much trouble I'll just forget the whole thing...)
The specifications aren't listed on the HP site. The service manual has a list of specifications but it has a huge list of different components which might be in your particular machine.... (and my processor isn't on that list :thumbsup:, so I suspect that they just used whatever they had handy at the time :huh: ) From searching, I think the motherboard may be Nvidia nforce 430/410. There are several Nvidia controller things on that Microsoft list. I found a driver on the Nvidia site, but it didn't say that it works the integrated graphics, so I don't know what one I'll need for that. There's a big long list of audio drivers on the HP site...

But, do the drivers need to be loaded first or can you just run it up the flagpole and see who salutes?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

Since the machine is new, you can probably find all the drivers for XP, 2000 may be more difficult. when you get the laptop in, make the restore dvds then look in the device manager for an exact list of all hardware. then you can throw caution to the winds, install 2000 and see what is not on the disk and play driver hunt.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

Since the machine is new, you can probably find all the drivers for XP, 2000 may be more difficult. when you get the laptop in, make the restore dvds then look in the device manager for an exact list of all hardware. then you can throw caution to the winds, install 2000 and see what is not on the disk and play driver hunt.

It's pretty pointless getting a new computer that won't work. I think I'll just forget it - I have no idea what drivers are and I don't know how likely it is that I'll be able to get them. Thanks for your help.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

If you still want to change the os, we will be glad to help you with drivers. Once you have the device manager listing we can find out right away about any problems with drivers that could happen.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

What about a driver back up program before you remove vista?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

If you still want to change the os, we will be glad to help you with drivers. Once you have the device manager listing we can find out right away about any problems with drivers that could happen.

Yes :thumbsup: , and there seem to be other forums and sites devoted to tracking down drivers. But I don't understand enough about them to know how likely it is that I'll not be able to work the computer at all. If you can't find a specific driver, might a similar one work, or is it "all or nothing"? If the latter, I'd rather not get stuck with a new computer that I can't use. I'll try and find one second hand that will have drivers.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Well, we dont want to do any installation or formatting until all the drivers can be located. Most manfacturers drivers support 2000/xp together. I have been looking for you model a little, but until I see the device list I wont know.

1. device manager to get list of all devices.

2 locate all drivers for win 2000. if not all available, stop.

3. install 2000, install drivers that are missing.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 May 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Sneakycyber, the driver model for Vista and XP/2000 are different.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 May 2007 - 10:28 PM.

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

As I see it if the laptop was in production before the Vista switch then there have to be drivers out there for XP and ikf the drivers are out there we can find them.
Carpe Diem and as the Vault guy says "GET TO IT!!" for those of you who miss the meaning of that dont worry your not missing much.

Posted Image

#14 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:06 PM

1. device manager to get list of all devices.

But, can I get a list of the hardware installed from outside windows?

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:24 AM

Other than HewlettCompackard having a web page with the specs, I dont know any other way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users