Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alerter - Svchost.exe Alrsvc.dll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carol7

Carol7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hi,
This is my first post to the forum. My computer proficiency is pretty good in some areas and not so good in others. (Typical, I guess.)

I have a program called Winpatrol. I was looking at it this morning and noticed that a program called an Alerter, file svchost.exe alrsvc.dll is showing as disabled. I think it's a valid Microsoft file, and I think it has to do with receiving alerts from Microsoft when there are updates I may need/want to make to my XP OS. It appears I can take the 'disabled' status off right in Winpatrol. But, I want to make sure this IS what I think it is, and, if so, the best way to enable it.
Carol7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Hello, check you settings in Winpatrol. That seems to be what it's for
Explanation here
To make sure you have Windows Update turned on, just visit their site. It will prompt you to turn it on
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

You could look at this: http://www.theeldergeek.com/alerter.htm. Note how they recommend "disabled" for it. Mine happens to be set on "manual", and it is not running at this time. Good luck!

WinPatrol was one of the first security-typed programs that I purchased for my PC, and I LOVE IT! I'm always surprised, when I think about it, that way more people on forums like this one don't use it.

Edited by rlprlp, 05 May 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#4 Carol7

Carol7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:05 AM

Thanks both of you! I think I'll leave it alone in Winpatrol and visit Windows!
Carol

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

You could look at this: http://www.theeldergeek.com/alerter.htm. Note how they recommend "disabled" for it. Mine happens to be set on "manual", and it is not running at this time. Good luck!

WinPatrol was one of the first security-typed programs that I purchased for my PC, and I LOVE IT! I'm always surprised, when I think about it, that way more people on forums like this one don't use it.

The reason for prompt instead of automatically install is, if you've noticed recently, some updates wreck havoc on some systems. I wait a week or 2 and see if any problems are encountered before downloading. As far as Winpatrol goes, there are many good programs out there. Some better than others. Use what's best for you
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users