Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Bridging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

hello,
I've always wondered, what does it mean when one bridges their wireless adapters on their PC? Also, if one does bridge their adapters, how do they connect it to their present wireless network?

Hope I made sense,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

Bridging hooks the network adapters together - so if they both get a connection then you can take advantage of both signals. In practice tho', it's been more of a PITA than it's worth for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

Mainly, a bridge segments a LAN into 2 segments(2 smaller networks) the advantage is that it minimizes the trafic by allowing only the appropriate packets into the second segment.
A switch is a Multiport bridge.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

One other question, what is a workgroup? Is that a network ID?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi Jessie, about work groups a workgroup is a collection of computers that share resources. Normally, workgroups are composed of the computers within a a small company and each computer can share resources with all other computers.
have you had a look at Wikipedia many answers can be found there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users