Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Csrss.exe And System In Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

I notice that when I first open Task Manager, the CPU % usage value for csrss.exe can sometimes show up anywhere from 33% to 90% for like half a second, then goes down to 0%. When it's around 33%, usually System is around 33% for half a second as well, as is taskmgr.exe.

Is that normal? Do those things boost up like that momentarily just from the process of opening Task Manager?

Thanks for answering yet another weird question for this curious newbie! :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 05 May 2007 - 10:17 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

Can be caused by corrupt profile or power options.

http://www.joryanick.com/fixingCSRSS.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555021

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

Can be caused by corrupt profile or power options.

http://www.joryanick.com/fixingCSRSS.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555021

I think you might have misunderstood my post... It actually isn't eating system resources consistently, as far as I know. It only shows up spiked like that as soon as I open Task Manager, then immediately goes down to 0%. I suppose it's possible that it's spiked all the time when Task Manager is closed, and only goes down once I open it, but I'm not sure if that's even possible...? However, note that my system is not running slow that I know of...

Also, I have my Power Scheme set to Portable/Laptop since it's a laptop. I think that's the more proper one to use than "Always On", is that correct? Anyone know the difference? I know when I had it set to "Desktop" accidentally, it caused my fan to constantly turn on and off.

Any further thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 05 May 2007 - 11:10 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

FYI - this doesn't happen on my virtual machine - but I use the minimum graphics necessary to get the job done - your choice of display options could cause this to jump a bit. But 33% - I really don't know enough to even hazard a guess. Any other problems with the system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hi,

I notice that when I first open Task Manager, the CPU % usage value for csrss.exe can sometimes show up anywhere from 33% to 90% for like half a second, then goes down to 0%. When it's around 33%, usually System is around 33% for half a second as well, as is taskmgr.exe.

Is that normal? Do those things boost up like that momentarily just from the process of opening Task Manager?

Thanks for answering yet another weird question for this curious newbie! :flowers: :thumbsup:

Don't know if this will help or not but here it is if you want to take a look.

THis file is supposed to handle the various threads of data coming in and direct them to the proper place. A quick check will be to click open task manager and go to processes tab in the pop-up menu that appears. There you will see the csrss listing. Next to it will be a listing for memory usage. If this changes a lot,be suspicious.
Also right-click on the csrss.exe and select the end process . If Windows won't remove it,you will know ttat it's the valid one.
Next examine the startup file folder. Right click start and select exlore. In the list of folders in the column on the left of the Windows Explorer that appears,look for startup and open it. If csrss.exe is there, delete it. That may solve the problem.

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

No other problems (well, no problems at all, really), just notice this and was wondering.

And I don't have anything listed in that Startup folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users