Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 7 And Certain Programmes Freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adrian3452

adrian3452

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

Hi
After cleaning my toshiba laptop of a number of viruses and spyware then installing kaspersky antivirus as oppossed to NAV my laptop boots up fine but then after maybe 4-5 mins freezes when I try to launch IE7 or most other exes including task manager but other windows facities such as explorer continue to work. The timer appears for the normal amount of time indicating the programme is starting but then nothing will happen for on average 5-7 mins then all programmes appear and work fine. I've tried pausing Kaspersky in case the delay/freezing is being caused by file/exe scanning but it appears that there is no affect.

Any suggestions?

Adrienne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

I'd open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Process's tab - then see what happens when you try to open these programs (look for unusual activity in the CPU or memory column.

If that doesn't show anything, then click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns, then put check marks in the IO Read, IO Write, and IO Other boxes. Then check the Processes tab again for any unusual activity in those new columns.

Next, open the Performance tab and do it again to check for any unusual activity there.

Let us know the results (and the name of any processes that are unusual) and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 adrian3452

adrian3452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

Thanks USASMA

Ive watched what has been happening - SVCHOST.exe spikes upto 100% when the laptop freezes lasts for ages then continues for a while then it happens again - ????

adrienne

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Hi Adrian! Svchost.exe acts as a platform for other services - so you'll need to find out what other services are running underneath it.

First, download and install this free utility: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx and get then open it up.

Next, figure out which svchost.exe process you're looking at. In the Task Manager - Processes tab is a column named PID, that'll tell you which one you're looking at. If you can't see PID, then go to the View menu item, click on "Select columns" and then put a checkmark next to PID.

Finally, hover your mouse over the correct svchost.exe in the Process Explorer program and you'll see a list of what's running there. Let us know what it is and we'll make some suggestions.

Hi Ann G. and Welcome to BC!

First, when posting here, please start a new thread for your topic. Posting your problem in another thread may cause it to be overlooked or dismissed.

As for removing IE7 - just go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and scroll down until you find the entry for Internet Explorer 7 - then click on it and select the Remove/Uninstall entry. Your system will then revert to IE6
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 adrian3452

adrian3452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

Thanks

John - Im away from my computer for a few days so I'll contact you again ASAP

Adrienne

#6 adrian3452

adrian3452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hi John

ran the programme as you suggested - Ive screen captured the information but I cant cut and paste into the forum posts - any suggsetions - in the mean time the services are

Automatic updates
Background intelligent transfer services
com + event system
computer browser
crytographic services
DHCP client
distributed link tracking client
error reporting service
fast user swiching compatibility
help and support
infra red monitor
network connections
network location awareness
remote access connection manager
secondary logon
security centre
server
shell hardware detection
system event notification
system restore service
task scheduler
telephony
themes
windows audio
windows firewall/ics
windows management instrumentation
windows time
wireless zero configuation
workstation

regards

Adrienne

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

The most common reasons for this problem are:

1) A virus infection
2) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q927891
3) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

Are you sure that the viruses are gone? Have you double checked with another scanner? Here's a free one to try: http://safety.live.com

Also, try shutting off the Windows Update service (temporarily) to see if it's the issue here. Go to Start...Run...type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Scroll down to the Windows Update service, right click on it and select Properties. Then set the service to Disabled (a dropdown from the box that says Automatic). Then click on "Stop" and let the service stop.

Then reboot and check to see if the problem recurs. DON'T FORGET to re-enable the Windows Update service so you don't miss any updates (and get infected because of the exploits).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users