Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mega Xp Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lolroflmao

lolroflmao

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:06 AM

hi yall.. first of all im new here so i dont really kno how to use everything and the proper procedures etc, but i am currently having a big problem with my laptop.. i have tried eveything and must have spent like 10 hours googling but i cant seem to find an answer.

I had been using my hp compaq nc 4200 laptop seamlessly for 6 months, when all of a sudden, i got a screen at startup with the boot options for xp. it gave me 4 options to boot, which were safe mode, safe mode with network functions, safe mode with system symbol and start windows normally. I thought it wuz just a glitch or something, but when i chose to start windows normally, the screen went black for a sec, loaded the windows xp logo, then rebooted back to the startup options screen. It does the same with every option i choose and no matter what i do. Also this laptop has no cd or floppy drives, just 3 usb ports.

Can someone plz help me or tell me why this is happening. Please if you need more info just post your questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lolroflmao

lolroflmao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

oh and my problem is that since the computer doesnt have a cd drive, i cant install windows again, also, i already took it to some tech guys who supposedly fixed it by reinstalling windows. They fixed it alright, for bout 24 hours, and after that the same problem occured. I was just wondering if there is way to start windows, get past the boot screen. On ninienne´s post she was able to start windows from what ive read.. Oh and thanks for your help.. sheesh u guys are fast.

#3 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:40 AM

hi lolroflmao
couple of questions have you installed anything on your laptop recently?
did you press f8 to get the safe mode screen up?or did it just come up on it own
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#4 lolroflmao

lolroflmao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:02 AM

sup mz

umm teh last things i remember installing were bitcomet,, sum program to accelerate bitcomet downloads,, and then another one to accelerate ares downloads,, i also messed around with the registry but i really dont think thats it cuss i was carefull. Also at the BIOS screen i tried to perform an HDD test but a message appeared saying it failed. But it said the same thing last time and the tech guys were still able to install windows again. any suggestions or comments to get this fixed once and 4 all will be really apreciated.. btw liverpool vs milan: helluva final

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

A hard drive sometimes doesn't fail all at once - so if you've got hard drive problems and reinstalled Windows it may not fix the issue.

I'd suggest slaving the hard drive to another computer (one that has a CD drive) and then doing a test on the hard drive with a hard drive checking utility (usually free from the manufacturer of the hard drive).

You can also install Windows this way, but it's a bit complicated since you'll have to make the disk bootable and copy over the installation files. I don't have a clue about how to do this tho'

Another option is if the system can be booted from the USB ports. In that case, you can get a CD/DVD drive with a USB connection and then boot from it to run tests and install Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 lolroflmao

lolroflmao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

is there any way to boot from an usb stick.. i currently managed to make it boot into ms dos from an usb stick,, but i dont know any commands to get it to start windows.. also, the laptop for some reason is treating the usb as if it were its c drive. If anyone could tell me how to start windows from the command prompt. All this i managed by formatting a floppy into an msdos start disc, and copying the contents to the usb, which i had already formated using sum hp utility

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

If it's treating the USB drive as the C: drive, I'd really start to suspect that the hard drive is failing.

At the DOS prompt, try typing a letter followed by a : and then pressing Enter, this'll tell you if there's another drive accessible on the computer (for example a: will get you to a floppy drive, b: probably won't get you anything, c: will get you the USB stick, d: will get you another hard drive (or the CD drive if the drivers are loaded) - try e:, f:, g:, h:, and then z:, y:, x: (just in case).

If you find another drive, type "dir" (without the quotes) and press Enter to see the directory contents. You'll be looking for a Documents and Settings folder, a Program Files folder, and a Windows folder (the names may be shortened to 6 characters and end with a ~1).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users