Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Graphics Trouble

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bristles

Bristles

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

First of all, I'd like to say that after a long and completely unhelpful chat with a gateway tech, coming to this forum is a breath of fresh air. I like the attitude here.

So, let's figure this problem out.

Here's my situation and my hypotheses as to what it is.

Within the past week or so, my computer has been experiencing spontaneous freezes after a few minutes after using software that makes use of my GPU or anything graphically intensive, specifically games and once during a video. After this freeze of 20-60 seconds, the screen will usually, but not always flicker off then back on. Again, sometimes, after the flicker, the display will be messed up and displaced. It seems as if the monitor is divided into tiles and some of the tiles are in the wrong places, making the display nearly impossible to see clearly. I have not been able to get this to go away without a restart. I don't know what it is.

Here's what I think might be to blame.
Gateway has my PC equipped with a 300W power supply. It was faulty and they sent me a new one for free, another 300W, but a slightly different model. The problem did not occur before installing the new power supply, and began only a week or two afterwards. I'm thinking that the power supply is not giving the GPU enough power and sometimes it will cause a freeze up and then when it regains equilibrium the picture screws up. This is just my interpretation, and I hope somebody will be able to give me some feedback and probably figure out the real problem. I'm just guessing 300W is not enough, even though that's all Gateway would give me.

Also: if my computer isn't getting enough power, is it damaging to the parts?

I hope we can figure this out. Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: It happened again, and this time it just caused a restart after a minute long freeze/blackout. This is getting urgent. :(

Edited by jgweed, 09 November 2007 - 01:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:14 AM

Exactly what computer is this?

What does the PSU label say? What did it say on the old one?
It looks something like this:Posted Image
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

What Model Gateway is it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

My PC info is in my profile. It's a Gateway E6500D SB.

I haven't looked for the PS sticker yet.

For my system specs (check profile) how much wattage should I have?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

Computer specs: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/E6500/1008...008488sp3.shtml

From this it's either a 300 or a 400 watt PSU.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

Anyhow. Forget I said anything about the power supply for now, does anybody have any idea about what my video issue is? Would getting a 500W powersupply fix it?

What should I do?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

There's no guarantee that a new PSU would fix this problem because we haven't found any symptoms that point specifically to a lack of power.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? Have you tried another graphics card to see if the problem is with the card? How many amps does your PSU put out?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

Gateway has my PC equipped with a 300W power supply. It was faulty and they sent me a new one for free, another 300W, but a slightly different model. The problem did not occur before installing the new power supply, and began only a week or two afterwards.

I'm somewhat agreeing with what is being said by other posters -

this is the second PS in that system that is faulty or causing a problem?

While that is certainly possible, your descriptions of the problem also suggests that some other item may be at fault.

I agree - Swapping out that video card would be a good troubleshooting next step.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:44 AM

I haven't tried another card and I don't have a spare to swap out, I don't know the amperage.
I have installed newest drivers.

Anyhow, this problem happened again, but this time after the freeze I got this error message.

"The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed givin you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

I'll explain the situation more thoroughly. I had a powersupply that came with the system. The fan was faulty and made lots of noise so gateway shipped me a new one of the same wattage rating, but it is a slightly different model. Since that time, my computer has been having this problem, and games that used to perform extremely well are now choppy and slow.

Any better ideas?

Thanks so far.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

If the nv4 display driver isn't working properly, I'd suggest downloading the latest video driver for your OS and video card from the nVidia website. Install it and it should fix those pesky error messages. :thumbsup:

#11 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:04 AM

Installed drivers, no change, the problem still occurs and my graphics are still not what they used to be.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

Does it have integrated Graphics chip? if it does try and take out the Nvidia card and see if it works without it
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

I'd suggest borrowing a card from another PC, or getting one from a store that has a good return policy (that way you can return it if it's not the problem).

Edited by usasma, 12 May 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#14 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

I installed a new power supply and it fixed the problem.

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

Glad its all working again :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer