Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No more internet for some. A growing trend?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

No more internet for some. A growing trend?"A small but growing number of frustrated computer owners are coming to the same conclusion. They're giving up or cutting back their use of the Internet, especially at home, where no corporate tech support team will ride to their rescue. Instead of making life easier the essential promise of technologies since the steam engine the home PC of late has made some users feel stupid, endangered or just hassled beyond reason." So writes Joseph Menn, a LA Times Staff Writer. Threats have evolved from minor annoyances to serious computer risks. So some have just decided to "pull the plug".
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

A $499 solution!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

Haroldo thats a good idea. I say they get a PDA phone with the same idea. That way they can check there email and browse the internet without stupid pc glitches you know?

They can run on windows mobile edition for the PDA or PALM OS. I would hate to go without my internet. I can work with my problem usually to solve them. But I know some have trouble with the PC and one error can be one to many.

Good post Koan!

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

If only they would of come across Bleeping Computer. What a shame. They could be online now, reaping all the benefits of the internet experience. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

On the other hand, a recent survey of 15-22 year olds showed 70 percent of them used high-speed internet access last year, amd half of those polled use the internet more than 15 hours a week, and 55 percent are watchling less TV than in the year before.
I would think that if you add the time spent playing computer games, the time away from TV would be a lot more---all this in spite of the problems that drive others away from their computers.
Regards,
John

Source for numbers above:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tc_cmp/57701552
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users