Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive - Or + Media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Below is the drive I have and where it says it's a DVD-rw does that mean I can "burn" with only DVD-r/rw? Can't use DVD+? I did a search and couldn't really find that much about this drive, all I know is it's a Gatway. It will play anything I've put to It so far. I have a standalone recorder which records with dvd+r I really don't like the idea of having to buy two different blank media.
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N [CD-ROM drive]

Thanks for any help

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

250.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
237.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5145
Dial up 56k

Nod32

A-Squared
Adaware
Spyware Blaster
Hijackthis
AVG Anti-spyware
Superantispyware
Bigfix working

Forever Ain't so long anymore

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

Talk about a tough drive, to run down specs on. :thumbsup:
I knew it was manufactured by LG, because that was a LG model #.
Couldn't find anything on their site.
I finally found, this information.
According to the specs, you can read/write to:
CD:
R and RW

DVD:
+R and +RW
-R and -RW
Dual Layer +R
Dual Layer -R

Features/Specifications:

* LG GSA-H11N 16x DL DVD±RW IDE Drive

General Features:
* 10x DL DVD+R Write Speed
* 6x DL DVD-R Write Speed
* 16x Single-Layer DVD+R Write
* 16x Single-Layer DVD-R Write
* 8x DVD+RW Write
* 6x DVD-RW Write
* 12x DVD-RAM Write
* 16x DVD-ROM Read
* 32x CD-RW Write Speed
* 48x CD-R Write Speed
* 48x CD-ROM Read Speed
* 2 MB buffer
* E-IDE/ATAPI interface

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GSA-H11N

Edited by tg1911, 04 May 2007 - 01:26 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dribdrab

dribdrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Tg1911: I've been searching several sites and come up with nothing!! When I see your reply I was dumbfounded of how much you found pertaining to that drive. "Really expensive drive huh"? but it works great for what I know about those things. I have yet to try burning dvd-movie,I've only burned cd-r to copy some very old cassettes which worked out, although I had to throw some cassettes out due to age. I thought maybe it was a little to simple of a question to ask but I'm glad I did. Now I know!!

After thought: I have an address for a very clear Picture and text tutorial for recording cassette tapes using Audacity, if anybody would like to see it, http://www.nsftools.com/misc/TapeToCD.htm I know this site has tutorials but I didn't find one on this.

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

You're welcome, dribdrab.

Yeah, it took some hunting around, to find any information on this drive.
As I said, I recognized the model #, as being an LG product.
The reason for that, is that I recently bought a GSA-H10N.
I couldn't even find any information about your drive, on the LG Electronics site.

Haven't had any problems with mine, so far, and I've burned several CDs, and DVDs.
The drive, doesn't seem to care what brand media you use, either.
So far, I've used Maxell, Memorex, TDK, Imation, and Verbatim, and haven't made a coaster, yet.

Thanks for the Audacity link.
Nice tutorial. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 04 May 2007 - 10:48 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users