Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Registry Key?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blase

Blase

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

Hi Everyone, This is my first post to this site.I work on different Pc's as a side hobby(mostly family and freinds with little profit!). Anyway i just removed spyware
from a pc running xp home using adaware-spybots & hijack this. I Did not post Hijack this log to any site,but may have taken out one Key that shouldnt have.
Everything on pc seems to be fine with one exception,when you click on Start-Search, the Start and Quick Launch buttons are frozen and the search window does not open. But if you open IExplorer window and click on the search button on top toolbar it works fine! Does anyone know what branch of the registry to look at,or what might be causing this. I will not be able to post back until l return home later. Thanks, Blase

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

Try this file:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_fix_search_error.vbs

Download and execute it and see if that helps

#3 Blase

Blase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:37 PM

Thank's Will try & let you know if it works

#4 Blase

Blase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

Hi, Tried the VBS file but did not correct the "frozen Buttons" I cant do a sys restore because i turned it off when removing spyware. Would there be anything on the xp cd (repair console) that might work? Thanks

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:18 AM

Try this:

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

#6 Blase

Blase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thank's for the fix!! It worked. I remember removing a search line in hijack this that said it was a (no file). This must have replaced that file, Thanks alot for your help.Blase

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi, Tried the VBS file but did not correct the "frozen Buttons" I cant do a sys restore because i turned it off when removing spyware. Would there be anything on the xp cd (repair console) that might work? Thanks

Have you since enabled System Restore? If not, you should.

It is always a good idea to disable System restore. After cleaning your system of unwanted intruders and (or) virus'. That way they do not hide in there. Which means that they can re-surface, if a restore is ever applied. Though enable directly after.

Edited by scarlett, 22 January 2005 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users