Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hdd Tends To Freeze My Pc And Will Not Defrag

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TONY L

TONY L

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

Hi, can you help,
I've got an 80gb External HDD that i use to put most of my files in, but for some reason over the last week or so it tends to freeze my PC and i've got to wait a while until it unfreezes itself.

Also when i try to defrag the External HDD it only goes to 1%, and i gave it enough time to gefrag i think i let it defrag for about 9hours, and still only goes to 1%.

I've updated all my anti-virus, but did not pick up any virus and i ran my trojan remover that did not pick up anything either.
Can someone help me and tell me what the problem could be.
Many thanks
Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:30 AM

The problem could be that you have not enough space on your hard disk to defragment. There is at the minimum 15% free space required to defrag.

Also could yur hard disk be at his end. Check on the manufacterer's webite for some diagnostic tools and run those

#3 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:42 AM

I've got 26.6gb left out of the 80gb, and i've only had my HDD for about 7months so there should not be a problem with it.
When i defrag if there is not enough space itwould come up and say that i've not got enough space, but it does not come up so i persume i've got more than 15%

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:48 AM

i've only had my HDD for about 7months so there should not be a problem with it.

I agree that there should not be a problem with it; however, there may be a problem with it and I would take fozzie's advice and run a diagnostic check on it. Drives fail sometimes - even new ones.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:22 AM

Thanks guys ill do that.

#6 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

Don't suppose anyone can give me the link to buffalo external hdd, diagnostic tools.
I've searched everywhere but cant find it.
All i seem to be finding is sales of hdd, from amazon.
Thanks

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

You could try this one, which should work with most drives.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Budapest appreciate the help.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

No problem - let us know how it goes.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

Just done the test it did not pick up on any bad files,
When i click the S.M.A.R.T, a message comes up saying (Possible Flash-Drive found with no S.M.A.R.T commands support.
And it does not give me the breakdown as it is shown on the link you gave me.
Thanks

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is implemented into all of the modern hard disks. A special program inside the disk constantly keeps tracking the condition of a range of the vital parameters: driver, disk heads, surface state, electronics, etc.

Your hard drive may not have SMART implemented, which is why you cannot use the SMART features.

Are you able to try the drive on another computer? If it works okay on another computer then it is likely that your computer is the problem. Also, if you have more than one USB port on the computer try the drive in different ports and see if the problem is isolated to one particular port.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

Just to further confuse the issue - the SMART "standard" hasn't been universally adopted - so even if the drive is SMART capable you may not get results from it with a 3rd party utility.

The reason is that several SMART attributes are commonly used the same by most manufacturer's - but not by all of them. In addition, quite a few of the manufacturer's designed their own SMART things into their hard drive. So, for example, a Hitachi hard drive test may not be able to read the SMART info from a Seagate drive.

That being said, the best way to do this is to get a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive. They're usually free and available for download at their website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

Whta i've done as well is,
I've istalled and ran diskeeper, it analyze my internal hdd, but when i try to analyze my external hdd i get this error message:
Diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume: HD-HBU2(F) This is due to either a user request, or because the operation system has found errors in the file system. CHKDSK will run automatically during the next system reboot. until chkdsk is run, diskeeper cannot analyze this volume.
I've rebooted my pc but still wont analyze so is it possible i've got a big problem with my exteral hdd.
The HD-HBU2(F) is my external hdd.
Also i've tried to do a disk error check of the hdd. Its on phase 2 and seems to have stoped on about4% and thats after about half an hour does it normally take that long

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

You could try some of the suggestions in this Microsoft article. It's not exactly the same situation you're in but it might help.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 TONY L

TONY L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Budapest,
I was reading the help and support in the link you gave me. It suggest that i should back up my registry. I was thinking of trying to back up all my files and perhaps reformatting my external hdd.
But is there any easy way to save all my files as that would amount to 60GD of files.
And i would not be able to transfer the files to my internal hdd as ive only got a 20GB hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users