Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:30 AM

is someone wants to upgrade his harddisk,how will he know that the motherboard supports his newly installed hd?and up to how much size of hd that is compatible just to achieve the maximum upgrade?How will one determine the exact specs of the hd before buying?any suggestions?Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

You can get the specs for the motherboard off the net.. As long as he has the right connections, If its a Serial ATA he needs SATA connections. If its IDE it will most likely work if he has an available IDE connection. If he's running XP SP2 with all the updates there shouldn't be a problem with storage capacity. He will need one empty 3.5 inch bay to mount the drive inside the case. What kind of computer is being used?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

If you are using W2k with service pack 4 or XP with SP2 you shouldn't have any problem with the size of the hdd. With out the SPs the BIOS will not recognize anything larger than 137GB which after swap space will leave about 128GB.

Most all new computers will use SATA hdds, but you can still use a SATA hdd with a motherboard that doesn't have SATA connections, you will just need to add a SATA controller card.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

will the windows still load even if the harddisk is damaged?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

Windows can load from spme damaged hard drives - but it can't load from just any damaged hard drive (it depends on where and how severe the damage is). The problem is that, even if it does load, you can't depend on being able to do anything with any reliability - you're just as likely to lose your work as you are to get it done.

Edited by usasma, 09 May 2007 - 05:59 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

what are the common symptoms of the heavily damaged hd?Can I see also the report from the POst as the PC boots that the hard disk has got some prob?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Some problems you'll see are increased load times, errors in applications/programs, corrupted data, missing data, etc, etc, etc.

I'd suggest download a free hard drive diagnostic from the maker of your hard drive in order to see it's exact status. While other hard drive tests will give you some information, the test from the disk manufacturer is designed for their equipment and will give more detailed results (which is especially useful if the hard drive is just starting to fail).

Edited by usasma, 12 May 2007 - 07:04 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:15 AM

I want to download free diagnostic hdd tool from the site of the maker of the PC's hd but I dont know the manufacturer's name or brand.How would I know it without openign the casing?Thanks

#9 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

Go to control panel/hardware/device manager. It will show a list of your devices. Double-click hard drives. It may or may not list your brand name. If you are upgrading the hard drive yourself, you are going to have to open the case anyway. The brand name is listen on a sticker on the drive usually. Just be sure to unplug your power cord and grab a metal part of your case to ground yourself before touching any internal devices.

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Thanks.I opened the case and saw it was filled with dust.I wiped the dust off and blew them all.After that, it became ok.:-)

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

A clean computer is a happy computer :thumbsup: .. A good rule of thumb if you have to replace the filter in your furnace you should problably clean the computer too.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:01 AM

A clean computer is a happy computer :thumbsup: .. A good rule of thumb if you have to replace the filter in your furnace you should problably clean the computer too.

What is the filter in the furnace?Which component there is a furnace?

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

I think Sneakycyber is talking about the furnace that is used to heat a house (nothing to do with a computer). In other words, you should clean out your computer on a regular basis.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

hahaha....lol Thanks to all. I like this site everybody helps even for the small thing as such.:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users