Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Halo 2 Vista

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

Hi all, Halo 2 vista comes out this month, just wondering if anyone is going to buy it, and if any xbox people could post they're reviews of it

thanks
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

Meh, I'm not gonna lie, Halo 2's been so over-hyped and talked about and played it's almost useless to go out and get the PC version of it. I mean, sure, the gameplay should be totally different and there probably will be some extras not available on the xbox, but still...it really isn't worth it.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

But if you don't have the xbox? Is it then worth getting?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Well yeah, in that case it is. I'm just saying I'm pretty sure almost the general population of video gamers have played it at some point. It's kind of unavoidable >_<

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

I have never played it, seen it nor really talked about it. And I know nobody who has.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Then I would definitely suggest buying the game, if FPS' are your bag. :thumbsup: It's a really straightforward game, with good weapon selection and plenty of ammo. Also, in Halo 2 you play as one of two characters at different points in the game. And the dual-wield system is pretty cool, where you can choose to either have your off-hand free for grenades, or you can pick up another weapon. The story-line follows well after the first game.

Regards,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ya i have it for xbox, and the pc version looks much better. I'm not going to get it though because I use to play it for hours online and I'm really sick of it. Also, I don't have vista and my computer probably couldn't run halo 2.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

hi everyone, I too don't have an xbox and have never played halo2. I've just seen some screenshots thats about it. Is there any changes in the multiplayer?? ie.. maps,weapons, vehicles???
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

#9 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'd assume they would throw in something different to try to get people to buy it. Perhaps another weapon? I'm sure there are new maps, and I think they give people a map editor so they can make their own.

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

If the online in Halo 2 on Vista is better than the origonal Halo on the PC, then it may be a little more fun. Still, I find the series overhyped anyway and I doubt I'm going to fall into the ploy to try sell copies of Vista. I'd rather wait for the real meat of games on Vista, DX10 games such as Crysis. Now, once I do eventually get Vista, I might probably get Halo 2, but it's not going to be soley for Halo 2.

Even further, anybody going to buy into that 'Windows Live' stuff? Even if it does allow multiplayer with Xbox players, I don't think it's worth paying to do almost all of the same things I can already do now in my games for free.

For changes in this game, I think the port has some added graphic effects, but I don't know for sure. Also, is this going to be one of the first cross platform games that will work with both Xbox (360) and PC (Windows Live 'gold' only)? I wonder how much PC gamers like the Halo series compared to console players, I know I prefer Half-Life over it. I mean, look at my Avatar, I made that text illustration this past semester at college.

*edit* - Oh, I'm pretty sure it will support a controller too. I would imagine the wired Xbox 360 controller for instance for those PC gamers who apparently can't use a keyboard and mouse? Speaking of which, I think the flow of the controls for keyboard and mouse have been toned down a little bit to make it fair for controller players, kind of like in Halo (PC), I noticed the sensitivity of the mouse was slower when playing it. Good thing I've got a mouse that can change DPI on the fly, I hate moving my arm across the desk just to turn around.

Edited by Wizdabest, 05 May 2007 - 11:12 PM.

#11 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:36 AM

Speaking of which, I think the flow of the controls for keyboard and mouse have been toned down a little bit to make it fair for controller players, kind of like in Halo (PC), I noticed the sensitivity of the mouse was slower when playing it.

Wow. And I thought that the Vista requirement alone was ridiculous.

If you can't cut it with a console controller, perhaps it's time to graduate to the true gamer's equipment? :thumbsup:

I tried the Halo PC demo long ago, it was like a weak UT clone. Though I heard that the PC port was not as good as the Xbox version...but I wonder if people thought that because they had few alternatives for that type of game.

I think I will leave Halo for Red vs Blue. :flowers:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#12 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

I've played the Halo on PC. It seemed really choppy and I was playing it on a pretty good computer. It seems like you need REALLY good specs to play and run it smoothly.

Any FPS where you can't control your mouse cursor's speed blows. It should be up to the player...not make it slower for EVERYONE.

Wiz, what speed do you use on your mouse for HL?

#13 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

For windows, I have the mouse tracking speed set between the half-way and highest setting. I use a logitech G5 mouse (I really like it, except for the scroll wheel) without the setpoint dpi software and the 'on-the-fly' setting is on the lowest.

For Half-Life 1 games such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike, I have my sensitivity currently set to 14. It varies greatly depending on when I play. If I take a couple days to a couple week break, the senensitivity might feel a little weird and I'll change it, but it's usually around 11 or 12 for the most part. With Source games such as Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, I think I have it set to around 5 or 6.

---

Yea, Halo on the PC was a half-done port. My computer runs it well, but it doesn't feel entirely smooth. Some graphical effects are different too, such as the reflection on water, portal doorways, and cloaking for example. Unless it's different for an ATI user, my 7800 GT doesn't have those. I also noticed the assault rifle is held differently compared to the Xbox version, and it doesn't have any kind of gloss on it like the Xbox version did as well.

Edited by Wizdabest, 06 May 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#14 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Wizdabest, sometime try the oposite set up; turn the mouse all the way up and adjust the in-game sensitivity down low to compensate. That way you can take advantage of the higher resolution settings of the mouse.

I have a Mx-518, I play with the "on the fly" cranked up, and sensitivity in-game (for CS S) on about 2.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#15 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Oh wow, never thought of that. I'm waiting for my mx-815 right now actually. My clanmate is sending one to me for free. Is it a good mouse? My Fatal1ty mouse I got for cheap totally crapped out on me. It was good at first, but one little tiny dust particle must have gotten into it or something. The left click button, which is like the most important one, gets "jammed" and I can't shoot in the worst times. It pissed me off so much I'm just using a straight up Microsoft mouse which is light has heck.

But yeah, I usually have mine between 13-18.

Just depends.

But that sounds awesome, never really thought about using my mouse that way, putting the on-the-fly all the way up and adjusting in-game. Good tip :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users