Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: System32\drivers\ntfs.sys" Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 duncod2

duncod2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, i tried microsofts suggestion of renaming it to ntfs.old, then recopying it from the "disk" to c:\windows\system32\drivers.

recovery console came installed on my computer, so i did
"copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers"
it copied it back into it, so when i checked "dir c:\windows\system32\drivers" both "ntfs.old" and "ntfs.sys" were there.

i typed exit and my pc rebooted and i had the same ERROR.

my pc is a compaq presario s6500nx

before having this error i had the same error except instead of SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NTFS.SYS it was SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ISAPNP.SYS

i fixed that error the same way and it worked, so i am confused
as soon as i fixed the ISAPNP.SYS, i rebooted and the new error came up.

I have been locked out of my pc since Friday!! PLEASE HELP! cannot enter windows, even in safe mode. or last known good

sorry for the length of post
P.S. ran chkdsk /r already

THanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hi, duncod2, welcome to BC!

Try performing a Repair Install of Windows XP. This will reinstall Windows without erasing any of your data. You will, however, need to reinstall most programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users