Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will It Overheat?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KingNeo

KingNeo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have an 2 old computers one is 1.2 ghz and one is like 650mhz the problem is that the powersupply (400watt )in the 650 is cloged but so it duznt spinn (altho it is not trying very hard /maybe temp driven speed?/and it has been run with no fan for a while) how ever my question is do you think the 400watt psu will be able to replace the RILLy small like 175watt one out of the 1.2 ghz computer with out overheating with no fan? and if yes i have a big 120mm fan (3 speed)that can spinn rilly slowly and quietly do u think that will work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

WEll, I have seen computers run for years without the PSU Fan spinning. Wouldnt recommend it though. My recommendation is to take your 400 Watt PSU from the 650 computer, and blow it out with some compressed air. See if you get all that stuff outta there. Just remember if your going to change out PSU's make sure they fit in the case properly (Dimensions) and have the proper connections you need (IE: Motherboard power)

Gavin Seabrook

#3 KingNeo

KingNeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

the 650 was from a kfc or something so it is grease or something the cables are the same but the cases are diferent but i wasnt going to use that case n e ways do u think the 120mm fan at like 700rpm will do a good job of cooling it?

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

You got it from a KFC? What?

#5 KingNeo

KingNeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

a computer thay got new ones so i got the old one

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Some manufacturers have proprietary designed PSUs which are non ATX form factor, the case of the PSU could be of a different size, or the 20 pin connector could have a different pin out. If you let us know what the make and model of the computer is and the make and model of the PSUs we can determine if it will be compatible.

Another option here would be to purchase another PSU for the computer, that shouldn't be too much of an investment for a new to you computer. The PSU is the heart of most computers, it's worth while knowing yours is going to work properly. There are computers out there that I will not mention...emachine...which have a reputation for a combination failure, if the PSU goes out it usually takes the motherboard out as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 KingNeo

KingNeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

The plugs are all the same and i have tryed it and it works a was just wondering how hot it would get

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users