Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In The Market For A New Software Firewall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

My ZoneAlarm Pro subscription runs out in a few weeks, and I'm looking for a replacement firewall. Over the past couple months, ZoneAlarm has been giving me problem after problem. It's internet monitor (vsmon.exe) crashes daily and completely blocks me from the internet. Upon trying to restart ZoneAlarm to fix it, I'm blocked out from running ANY other program (including shutdown.exe) saying I don't have the permission to do anything.

Anyway.. I'm obviously in the market for a new firewall. My main concern is how ram-intensive it is. When it worked, ZoneAlarm was nice and fast. When it didn't... well, everything went to sh*t. I tried out Norton for a year on my second PC, and even though I don't use it as much, it was more of a hassle than anything (it goes without saying that Norton products are out of the question).

It would be nice to have the ability to allow or deny a program access to the internet in the same fashion that ZoneAlarm has. It should also be able to handle huge amounts of internet traffic (24Mbit connection), from multiple applications, 24/7 without missing a beat or slowing anything down.

Any suggestions/input/ideas would be appreciated. I've looked over some webpages with firewall rankings, but I don't trust many because there are always other factors in play ($$$). I'm just looking for the opinion of somebody who know what they're talking about and has experience with (multiple?) firewalls.

Edited by .Prodigy., 03 May 2007 - 05:28 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

I have used, and can recommend, two very good firewalls; with the availability of these and others for free, paying for a firewall seems unneeded:
Sygate (my personal preference)
Comodo.

Sygate is very easy on resources and simple to configure, and far superior to Comodo on its reporting/logs.

You can find links to either of these (and some others used by our Members) here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply, but it looks to me like the Sygate was bought by Symantec back in 2005. I've tried a couple different Norton products, and every time I've had major problems, and an even harder time removing them.

If you still recommend Sygate, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I'll keep looking.

Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

The original Sygate is still available and the version I have used. I believe the link in the list I mentioned is to the original, not the Nortonized one.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 03 May 2007 - 06:50 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

You're right, John.
That link, is to the last freeware version of Sygate.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Another very good free firewall, I think even better than sygate, is Comodo Pro Firewall 2.4

http://www.comodo.com/
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

Prodigy,
Which version are you now using?
ZAPro is a firewall plus OS protection and few other things, so are you looking for just a firewall or an equivalent of ZA pro? You could use ZA free plus some AV and AS and email protections.
Whatever flavor, version 6.1 is flawless and 6.5 has a pretty good record. You could go back, away from version 7 which is causing some problems.
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

The last free version of Kerio firewall is good.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

If you are running Vista (or XP)

the PCTools folks have a free firewall, too.

It seems OK, but I've only been trying it for a few weeks on my Vista test system.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

In my opinion....

ZoneAlarm Pro is an awesome firewall. It has never given me problems and has SAVED me once when I went a little careless on the internet looking for a codec. Have you tried calling customer service at ZA? They are pretty responsive and tend to your matters rather quickly. I had an issue with my license showing expired when it was only 10 days old. They emailed me a quick procedure to get it up and running again. Also, once it "learns" it's very non-intrusive and light on resources.

Now if only they came out with a Vista version......40 days and counting until my license expires. :flowers:

If you are having problems with ZA now but didn't in the past, then maybe you should see what has changed since you started having problems. Did you install a new program? Do you have malware on your comp? Try a system restore just before you started having problems. Or, go to the Programs tab and see what programs are allowed access and which are not.

That's my $0.02 worth.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users