Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ftp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mightyvh

mightyvh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

I have a question regarding FTP downloads......I had an issue where I was trying to download a software upgrade from a site that utilizes FTP but I had no success in connecting. Originally I assumed firewall issues and although I have not completely exhausted that avenue, I'm not sure that is it as I disable my firewall and still no go. I did some searching on google last night and came up with some hits concerning IE7 (which I have) not interfacing well with FTP. Some of the stuff I read was over my head so maybe I'm just not doing it correctly. However, between what I read on Google and the tutorial on here. I read that there is "FTP client" software. My question is are these FTP Clients a utility that are suppose to work with your browser or are they stand alone products that allow you to connect to the FTP site AND also manage your down load. Any info about this and any incite to this possible conflict between IE7 and FTP would be appreciated.......thanks
I like my Dell Latitude w/ XP PRO but I love my Duramax

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Some work with your browser, some are stand alone, some are even built into Windows.

I fiddled around with FTP for a while a year or so ago - and found it to be a bit to "finicky" for my tastes - so I abandoned it in favor of other protocols. But, my favorite program was a little freeware app called WS_FTP LE. You can download the last freeware version from here: http://www.freewarearena.com/html/Download...ails/id=70.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

As far as I know there are no plugins for IE7 for FTP support. I have be using the Firefox plugin, FireFTP, since last November. I fined it clean and light. It is also very basic. It sits in the Tool tab in FireFox, so in is very convenient when time to use.
There are many stand alone FTP clients. I like and use FTP Surfer.
If you are going to use it for basic services I would use FireFox with the FireFTP plugin.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 mightyvh

mightyvh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

Thanks usasma and acklan for your suggestions. After some more reading, I think your right about the finicky part, but I'm to stubborn to give up yet. I want to give those programs a try and see how they work....Thanks again, Bill
I like my Dell Latitude w/ XP PRO but I love my Duramax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users