Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Now that I've solved the slowness problem on my desktop, I'm moving to a problem on my laptop. It's an Inspiron 6000 with xp media edition. It has a 100G hard drive and 1G of RAM.

When I try to open up task manager I get this strange - partial box. It will show the task that is running (or not!), and has the buttons: end task, switch to, and new task at the bottom. But there are no tabs at the top for applications, processes, etc. Nor is there any way to close the window. So it just floats there on top of any other application until I reboot. I don't know what you call those mini-windows in the task bar that show which applications are running are. But there is one of those with a computer icon in it. If I right click it, I can't close it that way either.

I called Dell about it a week ago, and the only answer they came up with was to save all my data, programs, etc. and go back to factory settings. Since the problem didn't seem as important as solving my desktop problems, I thought I would wait and see if there was another solution. Going back to factory settings and reinstalling everything is a lot of work!

It's not a huge nuisance because I don't use this very often. Still I wonder if it's indicative of a bigger problem. Is something rotten in Denmark?? or in this case, in San Francisco?

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have a solution? :thumbsup:

Thanks, Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

This is an easy one. What you have to do, is when you open your task manager, double click right above where it says "TASK". Anywhere in that blank area will do, and it will open up the rest of the manager. I dont know why windows did this, but it is a simple fix.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Great! That fixed it! A heck of a lot easier than Dell's solution! :thumbsup:

Thank you.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

This is why you never talk to dell service techs. You come here to the great forums of www.bleepingcomputer.com (WOOT ADVERTISING!!! Where is my money bleepingcomputer mods/admins!)

Gavin Seabrook

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

Gavinseabrook, come here to avondale in August and I will make a free cup of coffee for you! anyhow, bleeping computer is the best.

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 May 2007 - 07:20 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

I just love virtual coffee. Guaranteed not to raise my blood pressure. But do you have steamed milk?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:16 AM

I don't think it's possible to get anything but "steamed" milk in El Paso or Avondale in August! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

Well you see, I live in San Francisco, and anything that looks like steam here in the summer, is probably fog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users