Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Pdf Files From Word

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 debz

debz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hello,
Can anyone help me to create a PDF file from Word using free software, without changing the format. I am currently using PDFcreator but the text on the PDF comes out much smaller and squashed together than in the original Word document.
Thanks

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 03 May 2007 - 05:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hmmmm interesting. I have been using PDF Creator for a while now and it never misses a beat. In fact whilst typing this i opened a word doc that has multiple text font sizes and styles and printed it without issues such as yours. Check the settings within PDF Creator, and check your print preview in word before sending it to PDF. It may be something as simple as printing alignment, several times i have faxed a word doc off my pc to a USB fax and seen that tab settings sometimes "jump" an extra indent. Using print preview solves this issue for me.

I would also suggest saving the word doc, exiting word, then right click on the saved doc and send it to print from there. Clumsy I know but hey we are talking Microsoft !

Good Luck
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#3 atmsvcs

atmsvcs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

I have used CutePDF for some time with success. It is easy to use and setup. It installs like a printer.

When you want to print the doc you select CutePDF like you select printer, then you designate where you want it to save the file.

You can use it not only for Word but for any program that you want to output to a PDF to send in an EMail and not let anyone alter it.

www.cutepdf.com

You can use this to save any of the PDF fillin forms that don't let you save a copy.

:thumbsup:

Edited by atmsvcs, 03 May 2007 - 11:58 PM.

#4 Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

What version are you working with? Word 2007 has an add-in to saveas PDF files.

OfficeArticles.com :|: Extreme Excel Tutorial :|: Excel Articles by Ken Puls

What is a Microsoft MVP?

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:09 AM

I also use CutePDF and it is also rolled out accross the company I work with. This has never had any issues. All our users are happy with the output from this free app. Don't be put off by the cheap and tacky name.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hello,
Can anyone help me to create a PDF file from Word using free software, without changing the format. I am currently using PDFcreator but the text on the PDF comes out much smaller and squashed together than in the original Word document.
Thanks

i was surfing forums and i am a member in another forum
i seen your post about PDF files so heres a tip on creating one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

adobe takes up space on your harddrive
needs to be updated

so what can you do to take care of that
we all want to be good at our computers and not rely on programs

so heres something i came across on the net you can be a pro try it

Creating PDF Files with No ADOBE

Here are the steps to create the file:

1. You must create a new printer association for your computer. You accomplish this by going to Control Panel icon in the Start menu.
Once the dialog is opened, click on the Printer and Faxes icon.
Click on Add a printer and click the Next button.
Make sure that only Local printer attached to this computer is selected and click the Next button.
Make sure that Use the following port: is selected and choose FILE: (Print to file) in the drop down box.
Once all this is accomplished, click the Next button.

I prefer to Tektronix Phaser 300i as the printer driver that I utilized.
Select the driver that you want (driver that end with PS are usually only used to created postscript files).
After selecting which driver that you want, click the Next button.

You can use the Printer name provided by Windows or create your own. I also suggest that you select No for Do you want to use this printer as the default printer?
When you are ready; click the Next button.

Choose Do not share this printer and click the Next button.

Select No for Do you want to print a test page? Click the Next button. Finally, click the Finish button to create your new printer icon on your computer.

If you now look in your Printer and Faxes dialog, you should see the new icon of the printer.

2.After you have finished editing your document, you must now create the postscript file.
In MS Word, choose the menu option File->Print….

In the dialog that appears at the top, make sure that the printer selected is the new one you created in the preceding step. If it is not, select the printer from the drop down box. When you have selected the printer, press the OK button on the bottom and provide a location on the hard drive and name for the postscript file. The program will now create the postscript file at the specified location.

Now that you have your postscript file, you must convert it to PDF format. This is done by getting two files from the Internet called Ghostscript and GSview.

Here are the steps to convert your postscript file:

1. Download gsvXXw32.exe (for GSView) where XX is the version number. I located the file here: www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get48.htm.
2. Download gsXXXw32.exe (for Ghostscript ) where XXX is the version number. I located the file here: www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/new853.htm.
3. Install both programs in the order that you choose.
4. Open GSView and you will prompted to choose a version of Ghostscript.

Once you have installed the two programs, you are ready to create your PDF file.
1. Double click your .ps file which you have already created. GSView should open with your postscript file.
2. Click the following menu selection File->Convert.
3. In the Device: box, choose pdfwrite. Select the resolution that you want (Larger resolution means a larger file and better quality. You can test this to see which resolution that you prefer). Select the pages that you want to convert and click OK.
4. You will be prompted to name your file and you should use the .pdf extension (mydoc.pdf). Click Save and you are done.

This method is very economical and it makes sense to send PDF file when dealing with sensitive documents to make sure that people are not able to make changes after the fact. By doing this, you will look more professional and have an easy way to distribute your documents over the Internet.

here are the following downloads that are required

gs854w32.exe
http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge...pt/gs854w32.exe

gsv48w32.exe
ftp://ftp.das.ufsc.br/pub/ctan/nonfree/su...um/gsv48w32.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------

i hope that helps

Edited by mme, 18 May 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Downloading Cute PDF does all that you just described much easier. But its cool that you figured that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users