Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strip Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

Can someone please tell me everything I can strip from Windows XP to get it to run decent on a fairly slow computer...

Old Pentium 2 450 Megahurtz, 256 ram... I will get more specs soon... just picked it up at the flea market for 20 bucks and it had xp installed...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

WOW! That is a rocking computer right there lol. The best thing you could do is uninstall windows XP and put windows 2000 on there. Sure it doesnt have all the "Glitz and Glam" but it will run a whole lot faster. If you have your heart set on running windows XP, you will have to turn off a lot of startup items. But I have a friend with a 500 Mhz CPU and 256 MB of memory, and his runs fine. Just make sure your not running a whole lot of startup programs.

BTW if you got it from a flea market, you might want to reformat anyway, even if you are going to use Windows XP on it. No way of telling if the copy is truly "Legit". That and it will run faster after a reformat anyways :D

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

Check out Black Viper's Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Configurations. This will let you know what services you can safely disable.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users