Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

I think im going to try zonealarm again but i need some reassurance...last time i used zonealarm it KILLED my internet connection...literally...i had to reset my entire router to fix the problem....and i dont want it to happen again because my dad will KILL me...should i take the risk? will it happen again?

Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

I just removed ZoneAlarm - the suite from 3 computers. I know I spent money on the program, but the money doesn't matter. ZA never killed my internet connection, but it was always causing problems with a variety of applications, especially Adobe. And it slowed my computer down to a crawl

The thing is, it didn't happen all at once . . . . that would have made the source of the problems more obvious. No, it gradually caused one problem after another, and gradually slowed down my computer to point where I was ready to :thumbsup: .

I got a lot of good advice from this forum, removed it and put AVG on. Now my computer is running and starting smoothly and quickly.

I don't know why you want to try it again . . . but good luck if you do. I don't plan on reinstalling it on mine.

Peace, Pat

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

Im on wireless internet connection not wired...

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

What type of internet connection you're on doesn't matter. Firewalls work pretty much the same for anything. Once you install ZoneAlarm, give it a few minutes to get started. Afterwards, follow any instructions it gives you and then restart your computer. After a fresh install, I always got a pop-up telling me about a new network that it found. That is your internet, and you always need to allow that network in order to access the internet

Posted Image

#5 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

ZoneAlarm has always had split reviews, I have been using it for 4 years (the suite) and every problem i encountered was user created. I found their telephone support outstanding, whilst their website was a little harder to fathom onsupport issues.

The latest version is installed on my laptop (V7) and it's now struggling. Admittedly the lappy is choked with data anyways so for the time being i am NOT upgrading ZA to my PC, will wait for the next version rollout to see what issues are then addressed.

Personally i love ZA and am happy to pay the money so would encourage you to perhaps give the free ZA another try. It may be that (like me) your router probs were partly user created, my wireless network here runs issue free.

Good Luck
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

THanks for the posts ill try it tommorow when my dad isnt home =|

#7 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

WEll it works fine...im using it right now =D any one know something BETTER than zonealarm?

#8 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hey MOOMOO, I'm not a real pc expert but I did have ZoneAlarm for 2 years, Don't get me wrong It did what it was suppose to do it stopped viruses,Trojans and everything else, But I did notice that my pc was slow and sometimes it would freeze up and I would have to restart it.. Sometime it was a real pain so last week I downloaded AVG Antivirus So far my pc is running better and I havent had any problems. So you might want to rethink the ZoneAlarm thing..Good Luck (:

#9 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

If you want opinions, I quit using ZA Firewall/AV months ago. My subscription is still good, but I also don't care. After one too many problems, I switched to the combination of Comodo FW and AVG AV. The AV: no problems, but some day I MIGHT decide to try another. The Firewall: I can't imagine at this time wanting to try another. Good luck!

#10 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

Im not looking for a AV just a firewall =) I have NOD32 for AV...firewall wise it DOES hold me up but i think 3rd party would be better...i think ill give Comodo a shot...thanks =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users