Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Of 400gb Hdd Quality

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 system366

system366

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

I am getting a 400GB HDD (Hoping it will arrive 2morrow) so once that comes i will move everything from my D:\ Drive onto the new HDD and all my stuff that i want to keep from my C:\ Drive also onto the 400GB drive then ill probs format C:\ & D:\ so i can use C: for my OS, D: for my installations and my 400GB drive for all my bleep =]... Do you think this is a good idea??? will it speed up the computer since i will be using the speed of 3 HDD's for seperate things???

Also can i get your opinions on the specs of the HDD?

Specs are :

400GB Maxtor External Hard Drive
Manufacturer: Maxtor

RPM 7200.0
Cache Buffer 16MB 8MB
Seek Time < 9.0 ms
Sustained Transfer Rate up to 480Mb/sec data transfer rates

Operating Temp 5C to 35C (41F to 95 F)
Weight Weight 2.6 lbs (1.16kg)
AC Voltage 100-240 VAC
Compatibility PC
PC Requirements Minimum System Requirements Pentium III
500 MHz equivalent processor or higher
Windows 2000 Professional, XP Professional, or XP Home Edition
128 MB (256 recommended) RAM or more as required by operating system
CD-ROM drive

Is this drive good Speedwise? do you think it will perform well??? Also how do i check the make, modell & manufacturer of my Motherboard? i need to check if it actually supports USB 2.0 coz im not so sure it does... its very old =[

Edited by system366, 03 May 2007 - 11:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

I personally think the specs on it look fine, butI don't really like Maxtor. I've had some go out on me pretty quick. On the motherboard part if you know the the model of your computer then google it and see if you can find anytihng about USB 2.0 on your model. Otherwise if you have an I-Pod or some device that uses a USB 2.0 port then just plug it in. Windows should pop something up saying something like "Device will perform better on USB2.0 port" and that means its not 2.0 obviously. If you don't have a USB2.0 you can buy a PCI card for pretty cheap at newegg.com. Although, you are in the UK so the shipping might be more than the actual device. I don't really know of any online computer stores in the UK, but I'll google it and let you know. Also, at newegg the PCI to USB cards I saw a couple that were around 6 US dollars which I'm sure you know is like 3 UK pounds.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#3 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

I personally think the specs on it look fine, butI don't really like Maxtor. I've had some go out on me pretty quick. On the motherboard part if you know the the model of your computer then google it and see if you can find anytihng about USB 2.0 on your model. Otherwise if you have an I-Pod or some device that uses a USB 2.0 port then just plug it in. Windows should pop something up saying something like "Device will perform better on USB2.0 port" and that means its not 2.0 obviously. If you don't have a USB2.0 you can buy a PCI card for pretty cheap at newegg.com. Although, you are in the UK so the shipping might be more than the actual device. I don't really know of any online computer stores in the UK, but I'll google it and let you know. Also, at newegg the PCI to USB cards I saw a couple that were around 6 US dollars which I'm sure you know is like 3 UK pounds.

Wow great... thanks for the info mate =] i dont think mine is USB 2.0 compatible then... i use an extension cord tho, would that have any effect on it? coz when i plug my Bluetooth dongle in it comes up saying it can run faster... but i wasnt sure if thats coz of the cable or not...

Thanks for the fast reply... i wanst expecting one so soon =]

#4 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

OK... nvm... i just got some software that gives me info on basicly all my hardware and some software... i checked out the USB ports compatabilities and it doesnt support USB 2.0 =[ i dont think ill be ordering anything off the net but you know what it is i need to get USB 2.0 working with a USB 1.0 motherboard? if so could you have a look for it here > www.maplin.co.uk < or post the name of what it is i need? i buy most my computer things from Maplin =] including the HDD... altho i was told Maxtor was a very good make... guess i was told wrong =[

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

Here's a couple of 4 port cards, I found at the link you provided.
You can get 2 port cards also, for a little cheaper.

USB 2.0 Host Adaptor Card - PCI
USB 2.0 4 Port PCI Card
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hey this is great, thanks for the info, im gunna get one once my new drive comes... Maplin is right top of my street =] thx for the help m8

-Nick-

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

altho i was told Maxtor was a very good make... guess i was told wrong

Actually, maxtor drives are now owned and made by Seagate. The last time the Seagate rep came by my shop, She informed us that the Maxtor Brand is on the case, everything is made by Seagate. The Maxtor brand is just being used because of brand preference. HP and Compaq is an example. In my work, I have seen all brands of HDDs fail, and no brand has been worse than any other brand, overall. What I have seen is individuals that have one brand fail, and then decide that this company does not make good products.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

oldf@rt. That is good info from someone in the know. From what I had read, I avoided Western Digital like the plague - great technology, poor product. Always stuck to Seagate.

So you are saying they are basically all equal??

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

rowall5555, I have been breaking stuffs since 1976. There are only two specific drives that stand out:

The IBM Deskstar 72 gig SCSI, otherwise known as the Deathstar.

The Quantum Bigfoot IDE 13 Gig always seemed to overheat easily and had slightly higher than normal failure rate (about 2 in ten).
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting to know. I guess I should keep a more open mind out for HDDs then.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

My preference is WD Caviars. Ive got some that are 10+ years old and Ive had some that didnt last a month. Same thing goes for the seagates I have or had. I never had a Maxtor though. Speedwise though if your like me and Encrypt your External Drives (just in case some one accidentally picks up my bag at an airport or whatever they cant get to my Finances so easy) you will hardly notice speed differance between USB 1.0 and 2.0

Posted Image

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

• USB 1.1 This is the old, slow one. Works, but with 1 MB/s transfer speeds, the performance can hurt you.
  • USB 2.0 The most common and popular one. Pretty fast with 37 MB/s transfer speeds and found on practically every modern computer.
The transfer speed will also depend on the quality of the controller. If your just using it to save documents on you can make do fine with USB 1.1. But if you are gonna do something with large amounts of data or that requires performance you will be in trouble.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#13 system366

system366
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

Well the fact iv just baught a 400GB drive meens theres gunna be alot of DATA usage XD but turns out my mom actually has a USB 2.0 adapter 0.o she never told me... she baught it for her computer but it wont work in hers so she said i can steal it n try getting it working in mine XD

Gunna put it in, in a bit. If it works, then on monday before i go out to Training centre i go to im going to set all the files from C:\ and D:\ that i want to keep to copy over to the 400GB =P ... Also... you say USB 2.0 is about 35 mbps? coz the specs on the drive say it can go upto sumthing lyk 140 mbps

Woa how wrong was i! it says upto 480 mbps 0.o

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

480 Mega bits per second is the theoretical peak transfer speed of USB 2.0. 37 Mega Bytes per second is a real-world measured sustainable transfer rate for hard drives using USB 2.0 connection. This of course varies depending on the quality of the USB controller. Remember also that one byte(B ) equals eight bits(b ). Due to how the prefixes work 37 MBps equals 310 Mbps.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users