Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

180Solutions Joins COAST?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:15 AM

Company Joins Consortium to Ensure Highest Privacy and Consent Standards for Consumers Online
Distribution Source : PRNewswire

Date : Friday - January 14, 2005

BELLEVUE, Wash., Jan. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- 180solutions, a provider of search marketing solutions, today announced it has become a developer member of the Consortium of Anti-Spyware Technology vendors (COAST).

COAST (http://www.coast-info.org/) is a non-profit organization comprised of anti-spyware vendors, software developers and researchers who have come together in an effort to educate and protect consumers and businesses from the Internet's burgeoning spyware problem. By working with COAST and complying with its strict Code of Ethics, standards and guidelines, 180solutions aligns itself with the organization's governing companies, Aluria Software LLC, PestPatrol, Inc. (recently acquired by Computer Associates), Webroot, Inc., and NoAdware.net.

Full read:
http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/561218.html

Suzi:

WTF is COAST thinking??? I don’t get it, I really don’t. 180solutions is one of the most notorious and obnoxious adware/spyware companies out there. Read about nCase, installation problems, installation through security holes, with no EULA or prompts to install, difficulty with uninstalling, recruiting affiliates to bundle the software for payoffs per installation and recruiting advertisers by spam. (most links via Ben Edelman)

I have a question for Pest Patrol, (Computer Associates), Webroot Software (makers of Spy Sweeper), both highly regarded anti-spyware programs and recommended by Spyware Warrior’s Eric Howes. How can you justify admitting 180solutions into COAST when your very own software targets and removes it?

CastleCops is asking questions too. “Have they (180solutions) cleaned up their act?” “Is COAST creating a double standard?”

Something is VERY wrong with this picture.

http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:46 AM

Suzi picked up on Wayne Porters article:

Wayne Porter of XBlock is asking To Coast or not To Coast.

Recently I wrote a piece called “Why We Don’t Do Adware” and now I find myself compelled to write again about “Why We Don’t Do COAST”. A few months ago we had the opportunity to join the group but after reading an article by Nicholas Stark, from LavaSoft and after reviewing the conduct of some of the members we decided to take a pass. It pained us to do so because we feel that the grass roots security movement really needs a collaborative organization sans dues to get together to discuss the complicated trends occurring in the malware space.

Wayne discusses COAST and its so-called code of ethics. This is an outstanding article and a must read if you are at all concerned about this sorry state of affairs.

Wayne Porter:

Recently I wrote a piece called “Why We Don’t Do Adware” and now I find myself compelled to write again about “Why We Don’t Do COAST”. A few months ago we had the opportunity to join the group but after reading an article by Nicholas Stark, from LavaSoft and after reviewing the conduct of some of the members we decided to take a pass. It pained us to do so because we feel that the grass roots security movement really needs a collaborative organization sans dues to get together to discuss the complicated trends occurring in the malware space.

What is COAST?

COAST is a non-profit organization comprised of anti-spyware vendors, software developers and researchers who have come together in an effort to educate and protect consumers and businesses from the Internet's burgeoning spyware problem. By working with COAST and complying with its strict Code of Ethics, standards and guidelines, 180solutions aligns itself with the organization's governing companies, Aluria Software LLC, PestPatrol, Inc. (recently acquired by Computer Associates), Webroot, Inc., and NoAdware.net

COAST has recently rised the ire of many activists because of the admission of 180 Solutions. There has been much documentation of conduct from 180 Solutions that makes my eyebrows rise at the very thought of a company like that being admitted into a coalition designed to protect and educate consumers. For the release

about 180 check out http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/561218.html Their conduct and the conduct of their affiliates has been less than stellar.

Full read:
http://www.xblock.com/articles/article_show.php?id=67
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users