Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Submenu Wont Work On Home Page-

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gadailey

gadailey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

On this website: www.simplesolutionsgroup.com I created a menu using xara menu maker. I use dreamweaver to create the page.

Here is the problem: If you look at the menu on the home page, and put your cursor over the "products" link for example, the sub menu drop down box will not show up.
However, if you go to any other page on the site, the sub menu's DO show up.

So anyway, as you can see on the home page, there is a script running that changes the images automatically on the right side of the page. Whenever I remove that random image script the sub menus will work. When the random images are running, the menu bar does NOT display sub menus

If anyone knows the fix for this, that would be great (in laymans terms please)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

My guess (without looking) would be that there is a typo in the code that shows the image.

#3 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

That IS a good guess, but the code is the same on all the pages. Besides, if that is the case why does it work when the random images is removed? hmmm...Thanks for the guess...I still double checked it to be sure, but that isn't it.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

If the code for the image is removed, and things work, then I would suspect that the code that displays the image has a typo.... not the code for the menu. But according to the developers toolbar:

Error: d.getElementById is not a function
Source File: http://www.simplesolutionsgroup.com/menu/xaramenu.js
Line: 1

That error only exists on the first page, and none of the subsequent pages. However, looking through the javascript code, the error seems to be because the functions are not being called correctly. getElementById expects a parameter, and there are multiple places where it is not provided.

#5 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Oh..I thought you meant the code for the menu.

Thanks for the info...I've gotta run for now, but I will check that out when I get back...I'll just bet you are right about that!
I may have to use your expertise again ...
Thanks so much!
Anita

#6 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

Ok. I looked at it..but it's pretty much greek to me. The Xaramenu.js is generated by a program I use, so I don't actually create the code myself. I wouldn't even know where to start. However, I did look at the code and found where it had the getElementById in several places...but I don't have a clue what to do with that.

Can you suggest something? (laymans terms please) :thumbsup:

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

That chunk of code is a mess, which is what usually happens when auto-generated. I can hardly read the code, much less suggest how to fix it. This is the part that is wrong:
NS7=(!d.all&&d.getElementById);var NS4=(!d.getElementById);

That should be something like getElementById(something) I don't know if simply removing those two parts will work. They are not doing anything (hence the error), but I can't say that something else will not break. That code is a mess.

#8 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Well that certainly is in laymens terms.
It looks like my options are either to learn coding (Please no!!!) or to try a better program to create the menus? (know any good ones?)

I'll make copies to experiment on, and try deleting that line and see what happens.
I'll let you know how it turns out if you are interested.

Signed,
Damsel in distress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users