Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decent Computer Bogged Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

So, I went over to my aunt's house to help my cousin install her new printer. She's had her computer for about three years, and bought it when it was new.

I noticed it was really slow, and we were getting various errors throughout the installation (which never got completed). Besides the issues of viruses and spyware, the Control Panel will fault Explorer and close with an error. Also, a lot of installers won't work, because it says an error about the Windows Installer not functioning properly. So, I couldn't scan with Ad-Aware beforehand. And, Windows Update won't work - when I go to the website, I select Express or Custom and I receive an error.

I did scan with Spybot - S&D and AVG Free 7.5, and they removed quite a lot. I have a HJT log, but I can't post it 1. on this board and 2. because it's version 2 BETA. I also ran Cleanup! 4.5, and that removed almost 1GB of temporary files.

I see two options:
1. backup everything and wipe the HDD, since it's been three years since the thing's been maintained, then just start from scratch
2. Cripple through everything and try to work everything out

I may have to go through one. I feel there may be some deeper stuff that I couldn't get, and there is a recovery partition.

What do you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

After three years, with probably no routine maintenance and no anti-malware used on continuous basis, it would probably be much easier, faster, and certainly more thorough, to wipe the hard disc clean and reinstall Windows. Just make absolutely sure you have archived anything they think important (family pictures, etc.) first.
This would give you time to review security best practices, etc., with them so that the problems would not repeat themselves.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users