Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Which Power Option Scheme Applies To A Limited User?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheDonDon

TheDonDon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

I've been going through an exercise of securing my machine to stop my other users (aka my 3 and 6 year old daughters) from screwing things up.

Also gave myself a non-admin user for day to day use.

I've noticed that the limited users can't set the power options (Power Policy Manager unable to set active policy Access is denied).

Now that's cool because I don't want the girls twatting about with the settings but which power policy settings are used when I log on as a limited user?

It isn't the values displayed in the Power Options Properties - Power Schemes tab!

Cheers
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

I think the power settings that are set up for the Administrator ar ethe ones that are in place for all user accounts without admin access.
Not sure but it seems to make some sense to me.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 TheDonDon

TheDonDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:10 AM

Now that does seem like a reasonable assumption and it is kinda the conclusion that I had come to, but I have two admin ids coz I like a bit of belt and braces.

I'm not sure which id's power settings prevail.

I'm about to do some fiddling.

I'll post any findings here.

Cheers
Don

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:19 AM

I'm just guessing here but I would assume that if you change the power options in one Admin account these settings will apply to all the other accounts, including other Admin accounts.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 TheDonDon

TheDonDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

Yes that's what my tests seem to prove.
The last config saved by either admin user seems to be in force for all users including the admin accounts.

Now for a niaive and possibly silly question.
I'd expect to see this behaviour documented in some Microsoft manual - then I wouldn't have had to raise this post in the first place.

Can anyone point me at said documentation/ Microsoft website?

(Don't laugh too much!)

Edited by TheDonDon, 04 May 2007 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users