Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. How Do I Get My Previous View Of B C Back

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

I just used ATF Cleaner as recommended by Acklan, and my view of BC has gone totally haywire.

I've been to my Control Panel and checked everything relevant that I can see but can't get my old view back.

HEEEEELLLLLLP!!!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:58 AM

Hello rowal5555 :thumbsup:
the same software haywired mines too when i was using firefox to my laptop
all i can see is just plain white
did you check the cookies for cleaning?
If so this may be cause of the problem (not quite sure)

I fixed that kind of problem before but i forgot how....
reinstall your browser may do the trick

Edited by Commander Gman, 03 May 2007 - 04:59 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:21 AM

:thumbsup: sorry Rob... I had the same thing. Refresh the site a few times and you are in biz again.
It took me about 3 hours to figure that ut. There is a post somewhere from me in the Comments and suggestions thread regarding this..

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:32 AM

Thanks guys. It is totally weird as no other site seems to be affected. Refreshing won't be a problem here. LOL

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

Well, was just going to bed when I got an email notification. Coming back via the link and everything seems to be back to normal. Great stuff.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

ATF cleans out too much stuff and causes this sometimes.
Could be prefetch, java cache, all user temp. folders, etc.
Better to use ccleaner to eliminate this problem.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well also i personally don't recommend ATF Cleaner
As what had happened here and other incidents that may cause
Rather i suggest that you use an alternative as what zbd says

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#8 Atribune

Atribune

• Malware Response Team
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

If you close all browser windows before running ATF you wont have this issue. To clear up the issue, close all browser windows and rerun ATF with the same settings you used. This should fix the problem.

As for CCleaner its a piece of trash, and part of the reason I made ATF public. CCleaner has a tendency to delete files that are crucial to windows. For the longest time they didn't acknowledge the issue with their program.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Without this input I would just have not used the program again.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

IMO, CCleaner is a great program and I will continue to recommend it - but it does have it's limitations just as the ATF Cleaner does. Used with proper care and advice it works wonders - and doesn't damage any Windows files. Either one (used improperly) can hose your system beyond repair.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Yeah its great!!! :thumbsup:
You'll have more options on cleaning because CCleaner can also detect applications that you may also want to clean like WinRar,QuickTime,etc.

The only thing that im confused when doing registry cleaning using CCleaner is that i find some file extensions
like OIS or something like that (i backup my registry)
so i just get stuck and don't know if i should remove it or not :flowers:

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

FWIW - I don't clean my registry. I feel that if it's mucked up enough to need cleaning, it's time for me to reinstall.

Backing up the registry before removing anything is a must - but be sure that you know how to restore it in case the system won't boot!

Let us know the exact name of the extension and we can look it up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:58 AM

found several Missing shared DLLs

Found also several unused file extensions (the one you've requested)
for the file extensions:
OISjpegfile
OISwmffile
OISgiffile
OISemffile
OISpngfile
.obd
.obt

Edited by Commander Gman, 05 May 2007 - 12:59 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

Do you still have Microsoft Office installed? If so, these relate to functions that it has. The obd and obt relate to the Office Binder, where the others seem to relate to picture viewing with the Office Picture Manager.

The unused keys refer to opening different files when you double click on them - jpeg, wmf, gif, emf, and png files will open in the Office Picture Manager while any obt or obd files will open up Office Binder (a program that ties all of your Office documents into one "package").

Although unused, I'd leave them in place just in case you need them in the future. They don't take up much room and could prove to be valuable to you at some time in the future. Also, you can uninstall the Binder features from Office and you can reinstall/uninstall the Office Picture Manager to get rid of these associations normally (BTW - OIS refers to the ois.exe file in your Office directory)

Finally, here's a link with a lot of good info about these extensions: http://www.officefrustration.com/printthread.php?t=186710

#15 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

ok t.y. for the info :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users