Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Sp2 Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewGS

AndrewGS

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

Last night I ran a Windows Update and upon restart Windows would not boot. I tried Safe Mode and it gets as far as loading agp440.sys and restarts again. I also tried Last Good Configuration to no evail.

I pulled the HD and installed it into an external case and hooked it up via USB to take notes of my installed software and to save my files. All seemed well for about ten minues until the machine I was now using started doing the same thing as the original machine. I turned off the external HD and booted in Debug Mode and I'm good again, except when I turn the external HD back on within five seconds it restarts and I have to turn the external HD back off and reboot in Debug Mode. At least this way I know it's not a hardware issue.

I've been running this machine for over a year with no issues until now. It's a Compaq so I don't have a Windows CD to run a repair install from. I've searched and searched and tried several different ways to boot it but I'm having no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hi AndrewGC! Welcome to BC!

Here's Microsoft's Article about how to fix this problem. Unfortunately, it requires the XP install CD. Contact Compaq for an install CD. I believe they're supposed to send it to you if you ask.

Otherwise, borrow someone else's XP CD and follow the instructions in the article.

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 May 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#3 AndrewGS

AndrewGS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

Any idea on why it would immediately kill the other two machines I've hooked the HD up to? Two different machines crash right after the HD is recognized and will not fully boot until it is disconnected.

Thanks.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

I could be a problem with the hard disk. Many people in my research say that running chkdsk clears up the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users