Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formating

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 anthony914

anthony914

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

if i format my laptop and then install xp again will all the drivers and stuff be there or will i have to get new drivers....if so where?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

Usually after a format, you will need drivers. Just search for the manufacturers web site

Gavin Seabrook

#3 anthony914

anthony914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

someone said to just copy the system32 folder is that true?

#4 anthony914

anthony914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

????

#5 mobil1_oils

mobil1_oils

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

Do not do that, for two reasons. It will almost certainly make your system unstable after a format, and there are a few drivers that wont install into the system32 folder. After a reformat install all your drivers from the discs, if you still have them. Or find them on the internet. The only thing i'd worry about is your ethernet driver. Find the driver for your ethernet controller on the net and put it onto disc before the format. That way if windows doesn't have the driver for your ethernet controller after the install, you can run that disc and install the rest of your drivers that way.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:03 AM

You can backup your drivers before you format and then reinstall them after you install the operating system.

Free Device Driver Backup and Extraction Utilities
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 anthony914

anthony914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

so if i gnat to sell it is there something special i should do to the hardrive so that no one can retrieve my data?

#8 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

Just format it, but dont install windows on it

Gavin Seabrook

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

If you're really paranoid you should do a low-level format of the drive. If someone knows what they're doing they can quite easily retrieve data from a drive if you just do a normal format.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 anthony914

anthony914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

how do you do a low-level?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

PC Guide low level format
hddguru.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Do you have the installation disc for the OS with the proper product code? If not you are going to be selling the computer without a OS if you format it.

If you want to do this properly then wiping the drive with something like WipeDrive will completely over write the hdd making a lot harder to recover any information. You should also be aware that NSA currently believes that the only way to render the information on a hdd unrecoverable is to destroy it with an oxyacetylene torch.

Edited by dc3, 04 May 2007 - 10:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users