Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time *nix-er

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I've recently installed a secondary hard drive in my PC - its only small at 20Gb from an older, failing PC. I want to use it as a trial run of linux and I've decided to start with Kubuntu. Is there any way/special procedure to install it on the second drive so that when booting I can choose to load EITHER WinXP (as default) or Kubuntu (by choice)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

If you install GRUB in the Boot sector on the windows drive it will allow you to chose whether to boot Windows or Kubuntu. But if Kubuntu is like Ubuntu and Xubuntu (dont know havent ever used it) in its install CD then you should be able to boot Kubuntu from the CD to see if you like it or not first.

Posted Image

#3 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

If you install GRUB in the Boot sector on the windows drive it will allow you to chose whether to boot Windows or Kubuntu.

You didn't answer his question though. Can he make Windows the default? If so, then how?

Yes there is a way to make Windows the default. The procedure should be very simple. Just check the "Boot Manager" panel in the KDE Control Center.

----------------

I would recommend that you install Kubuntu to your new drive, and make sure that LILO, or GRUB gets put on the new drive (probably hdb). NOT on your Windows drive (probably hda).

Then adjust your BIOS to boot from the new drive. It may be listed as "Primary Slave", "D", IDE2, or IDE1.

This will allow you to remove Kubuntu at a later date, and not have the Kubuntu boot loader at the start, slowing down your boot time.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Thank you Spyder for the correct response and to you Monster for spotting I am a total newbie at this and need specific directions. Some obvious questions came to me after reading this.

a) What is the difference between hda and hdb and what is its relevance to this situation?

:thumbsup: It seems I would be able to resolve this with further details from your good selves so should I go ahead and install Kubuntu? If so, is there any special method I should follow in order to install it on the empty secondary drive or will the option present itself in due course?

c) What exactly is GRUB? I have a very vague understanding that it has something to do with booting by choice but looking at the website there seems to be 2 versions neither of which I can understand.

d) Functionally, how will it work? Just to clarify I'm looking for something that will mean that when I switch on my PC automatically loads Windows but only after providing an option to boot the alternative Linux OS. Is this how the Grub utility will work?

While I'm eager to learn new info on the general Linux/software subject please keep your responses clear and simple as I do not wish to bore you with messages to explain what you mean. Thanks in advance.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

Functionally, how will it work? Just to clarify I'm looking for something that will mean that when I switch on my PC automatically loads Windows but only after providing an option to boot the alternative Linux OS. Is this how the Grub utility will work?

That is exactly how it works. The way it works on my system is that I have the option to choose between linux or windows, with a 3 second delay. If I do nothing, it automagically defaults to Linux.

Grub is just a boot loader. It hands off control of the computer to which ever operating system that you want to have it.

#6 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

Grub looks similar to this.

Posted Image

Instead of an install option, it would have Ubuntu, and Windows.

As groovicus, and sypder pointed out, it provides a limited time to select from a list, before it defaults to Kubuntu. This default can be changed from within Kubuntu.

Edited by Monster_user, 03 May 2007 - 11:30 PM.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

One big word of advice before you install....BACK UP Windows to a DVD or something external. I say this from experience the first and last time I used GRUB I installed Fedora Core 5 and this little annoying program called PCAngel (Backup and recovery program) noticed that I had changed my Boot.ini file. I hadnt backed up in the traditional manner (to an external Drive or Removable Disk) since I bought the computer and was using Windows Restore points as backups (Bad Idea). Needless to say I had to start over from my Restore Factory Settings CDs I made the first day I bought the PC (8 months earlier). To this day I have to use the Boot Menu to switch between Linux and WinXP on that PC.

Posted Image

#8 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Is this absolutely essential? As previously stated, my intention was to install Linux on the secondary drive entirely because it would then not affect my Windows running main PC. Is this not the case? Will files on the other hard drive be affected?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Unless you're going to swap out drives every time you want to change OS's, you need a boot loader to tell the BIOS which OS to run. I just did this with Ubuntu with no headaches at all
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

there is one way to do it but I dont suggest it even though I use it. Here we go:

1) Open your case and unplug your windows hard drive
2) Set both hard drives to Cable Select (ie CS on a Western Digital)
3) install new hard Drive and plug it up
4) With the Windows Drive unplugged install Ubuntu to the New Drive
5) Reboot and make sure your Linux Distro is up and running OK
6)Shut Down and Plug in the Windows drive using the connector on the end of the Ribbon cable
7) Reboot and enter the BIOS select the Windows drive as the first hard drive to boot from mine looks like this:
Boot Order
1) DVD ROM on Secondary IDE Master
2) Seagate HDD on Primary IDE Master
3) WD***** on Primary IDE Slave
the Seagate is my Windows Drive

8) When you want to switch to Linux from Windows Reboot and use the "Boot Menu) that comes up when you press a key on Boot UP (mine is F10) and select the Linux Drive.
9) the next time you reboot it should automaticly send you to windows unless you repeat step 8

Remember I DO NOT suggest this method Im just letting you know that it can be done I suggest using GRUB/LILO if you can.

besides they are easier to use and install.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 05 May 2007 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Is this absolutely essential?

Yes. this is absolutely essential.

The effect on your Windows installation will be minimal. Windows has a boot loader called NTLDR. Unfortunately, it does not support other operating systems. So a "universal" boot loader is needed.

It will NOT affect the files on the Windows drive. And the issue can be easily resolved using the following technique.

Boot from your Windows installation CD, and run 'fixboot', or 'fixmbr' from a rescue command prompt. That will restore The original boot loader. Use 'fdisk /mbr' for Win9x systems.

#12 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:35 AM

If you want Kubuntu on your second drive and win on your first, the follow these guides:

When you get to the portion of install where it asks if you want it to set up your drives for you or if you wish to do it manually, tell it manual. Make sure the 20 Gb is the second drive, slave, or not on the last connector on te ribbon (for ide) or not plugged into the primary slot for sata.

then identify at least
/ - (this is root) on hdb1
swap - (basically works as a pagefile) - on hdb2
user - (where yopur accounts store info) - on hdb3

leave all of your windows stuff on hda1

Linux identifies your dives by hd. to mark the progression of each number of drives it assigns another letter.

ie:
hda - primary master (ide)
hdb - secondary slave (ide)

and so on. This way, the only thing which will be affected on your first hard drive will be the overwriting of the windows boot loader.

This in no way should affect any of your win files, other than the boot loader. If, for some random reason of weirdness it does, the instructions to repair your boot loader in the pervious post will fix it straight away. However, that will leave Kubuntu on your second drive and unrecognizable to windows, until you attempt to reinstall another boot loader, such as GRUB or LILO.

btw:

automagically

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

That was brilliant!

Edited by Joedude, 06 May 2007 - 04:43 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users